Espresso vs coffee vs mix?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
gimpy

#1: Post by gimpy »

Espresso only drinkers vs coffee drinkers vs a mix of the two?

For 40 years, I have drank only coffee normally (drip, pour over, etc.). So, the last few months I have started including a single shot of espresso with my morning routine of a 300 gram cup from an aero press and a 400 gram cup from my clever drip (those were my only two cups of the day until I started the shot of Espresso), except for weekends.

So, i was wondering if most people on here drink exclusively Espresso, or what? And, how much?

My shot of espresso lasts me only a couple of minutes, whereas, a cup of coffee lasts an hour or so, which I enjoy. I drink my coffee on the way to and at work.

Bkultra

#2: Post by Bkultra »

I'm in the minority here, but I'm 99% coffee. Essentially everything but espresso on a regular basis.

[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

I drink about 66% of my coffee brewed and 30% as espresso shots, and maybe 3% "other," which would include macchiatos, cappuccinos, and coffee-based cocktails.
LMWDP #435

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

I'm primarily a straight shot espresso guy but I do enjoy some brewed coffee particularly my syphon brew. Wife hasn't been drinking coffee lately so my morning cup of brew has been an Americano made from one of my S/O brew roasts.
LMWDP 267

SpromoSapiens

#5: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Also a straight-shooter, me.
Since getting the Kohi filter I've done more aeropress than usual; I also recently got a Moka pot to play with, really just out of curiosity; and I'm not averse to a good pour over if that's what's available. But my go-to pick-me-up is espresso.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how much.

I have a two drink minimum to greet the world in the morning. These are usually 2 straight double shots, although lately I've had a shot and a an aeropress, or even 2 aeropresses, although I'm coming back to the 2-double way of life. Then typically a third before I head out to pick up my daughter from her halfday of preschool, although sometimes I forgo that one. Then another non-negotiable beverage in the late afternoon, around 4pm; usually a double, recently sometimes an aero.

Eastsideloco

#6: Post by Eastsideloco »

My tendencies run counter to the grain for this forum. I'm primarily a brewed coffee drinker.

About the only time I have espresso first thing in the morning is if I have to jet out the door. Otherwise, I start the day by making make my wife a cappuccino, and brewing a cup or two of coffee for myself. Often I make a small siphon pot, as that serves two cups. But if I want to try different coffees side-by-side, I'll use single serve brewers (manual pourover, immersion or hybrid methods).

As a result, I usually have espresso after lunch. Even though I might drink an espresso in a sip or two, nothing coats the tongue quite like it. A good shot espresso lingers on tongue for 30 minutes to an hour. Brewed coffee can't really touch that.

kaldi61

#7: Post by kaldi61 »

I'm similar to Eastsideloco, and agree with the lingering effect of the espresso. I don't really nurse a brewed cup unless it's crappy. I am a long-time espresso fan, but have only recently invested in equipment. I have spent the past 20 years perfecting my brewed coffee technique, and the past 5 years working on my roasting. I therefore am more than ready to embark on building espresso technique. I usually do a pot of siphon in the morning, or clever. I drink espresso mid-day. When my Faemina is done (soon), I'll be ready for a.m. espressos and perhaps adding the occasional dollop of foam when I want something different. Just too many carbs in a real cappa for me, although a good one is a wonderful drink.
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

canuckcoffeeguy

#8: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

At home, I almost exclusively drink straight doubles. On weekdays, one double shot before my commute to work. I'm grinding and pulling with one arm, and getting the kids breakfast with the other. It's a circus like routine!

Then an Aeropress or presspot in the early afternoon at work. Sometime I venture to a nearby cafe for another double instead of my aeropress/presspot. If I venture far enough, there's a cafe in Toronto where I can still get a Clover brew. The only non-Starbucks joint I know of in Toronto that still has a Clover brewer.

On weekends typically 3 doubles per day. I only make about 1 cappa per week. Every now and then I dust off my Bialetti Brikka moka pot (about once every 2 to 3 months).

So I'm mostly a straight espresso guy, but work in some immersion brewing at work a few days per week.

EDIT: My small Espro just came in the mail today. I'll be giving it a try tomorrow at work. I've been using my Pharos as my work grinder. Much faster than when I used my Hario Slim. So far I think it has been fine. Although many say the Lido models are much better for brew grinding.

JmanEspresso

#9: Post by JmanEspresso »

I enjoy it all. Definitely drink more espresso than anything else though. Average day starts with a few doubles, and then depending on my mood, Ill either make a double capp, or brew using whatever method Im in the mood for. Either way, I need to read my email and do my morning internetting with a cup of coffee, so either a double capp or a brewed cup.

I probably have a cup of coffee in the mid afternoon time, again or a double capp. And then evening, if I want to which isnt every night, Ill have a double shot or two.

The upside to have quite a high caffeine tolerance is I can drink coffee late at night and still sleep, or pull a couple more shots of that coffee which is just so on point and delicious. Yes, thats a nice plus. The downside means while I still gotta make that morning coffee, its not waking me up, so much as just guaranteeing I dont get a numbing headache come 10am. That sucks on mornings when I screwed up the order timing and Im out of coffee.

tburres

#10: Post by tburres »

I do a mix, but mostly espresso drinks - not a lot of straight shots unless I'm in a hurry because I like the sweet cream as much as the coffee - start with a 2-double capp, then if I am brewing coffee for the rest of the clan, I will do that and take a cup with me to my home office. I usually do a couple more double capps during the day and occasionally a decaf capp in the evening. Once in a while I do a batch of cold brew too.