Espresso - A chemist's view.

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Ian_G

#1: Post by Ian_G »

I thought about copying the articles which I thought quite informative. Instead I'll give the link and avoid copyright issues.

http://www.chemistryviews.org/details/e ... ation.html It comes in two parts.

Jeebs

#2: Post by Jeebs »

Cool stuff. As a hydrogeologist, it warms my heart to see Darcy's Law in an article about espresso.

Advertisement
compliance

#3: Post by compliance »

I really enjoyed the article. I pulled this quote out of the second page. "The flavor of ordinary filter coffee can also be improved by addition of small amounts of table salt." Has anyone tried this? I have not heard it before.

chang00

#4: Post by chang00 »

Not just in hydrogeology, Darcy's law can be used to describe amniotic fluid (Wharton's jelly) in obstetrics, vitreous diffusion and contact lenses in ophthalmology, not to mention it is essentially Ohm's law in physics/engineering.

Marc

#5: Post by Marc »

compliance wrote:I really enjoyed the article. I pulled this quote out of the second page. "The flavor of ordinary filter coffee can also be improved by addition of small amounts of table salt." Has anyone tried this? I have not heard it before.
It's not something I would recommend unless you have a bitter coffee.

Salt balance acidity and bitterness. Adding salt will therefore reduce acidity, making the coffee rounder.

ethiopie

#6: Post by ethiopie »

compliance wrote:I really enjoyed the article. I pulled this quote out of the second page. "The flavor of ordinary filter coffee can also be improved by addition of small amounts of table salt." Has anyone tried this? I have not heard it before.
My mother once told me that in some families salt was added to filter coffee when she was young. But she was talking about the 1950's.