Equipment Transcendence

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
shawndo

#1: Post by shawndo »

Warning, philosophical rambling ahead:

I've seen people write about this so I know I'm not alone. The moment when you feel you know what you are doing and it becomes more about the beans and the equipment takes a back seat. You stop thinking "If I only had this, then it would taste better" You also feel like it's OK to start selling off all the unnecessary stuff you've purchased in this troubleshooting pursuit. (i.e. my post count in the Buy/Sell forum has increased lately)

After an embarrassingly, shamefully long time I think I've only recently passed this point. It's only now I feel like it's ok to start exploring other blends because I finished all the troubleshooting and have it figured out.
On one hand, it's a relief because I feel that the frustration is all behind me. On the other hand, there is something about having a perplexing problem that needs figuring out.

Looking back, I had a lot of bad luck, stubbornness and arrogance.
I had more than one problem at a time, so when I fixed one, it didn't fix everything so I didn't know I fixed a component. Other times, I knew i had something figured out, so the problem had to be something else (I was wrong)

Anyway, I feel like I should get a ribbon or black belt or something. It was definitely an ordeal!
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

Sounds about right though I would put myself on not trying other blends yet. I am happy where I am at with my local roaster and have too much else going on to mess with a good thing :)

Learning the Pavoni's with no coffee experience other than a customer at Caribou or Starbucks was a extremely frustrating ride. The lesson of the grinder being the most important item is so hard to grasp at the start as it isn't as cool as the espresso machine! I fought similar battle of multiple problems:Tamper not big enough, grind not fine enough, how to steam, user error :).

Now though I am enjoying it, gave away one of my Pavoni's and looking to part later with some more. No longer in search of spares or better machines. I even stopped surfing ebay for a Cremina :(.

Sit back and enjoy the destination while you can!

pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

There's definitely a line you cross at a few points in time where you know that the equipment you have is no longer responsible for the shortcomings of your coffee. There's the point when you can actually achieve consistency, then the point where you can do it with equipment that suits your workflow. After that, you hit the point when the only variable left is you. I'm about there. In all honesty, I am. The only upgrade I really want is to a commercial-group lever, but I know it won't do much in terms of quality for me, mostly just allow single pull shots. I'm at that point now with both brewing and espresso, where if something goes wrong, it's my fault. Its a good place to be.
LMWDP #366

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Peppersass »

shawndo wrote:Anyway, I feel like I should get a ribbon or black belt or something. It was definitely an ordeal!
Actually, Grasshopper, you've graduated from a white belt to an orange belt. That means you only have the yellow, blue, green, purple and brown belts left to go before you get the black belt. :mrgreen:

Seriously, there's no end to the learning process.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

I think he was only referring to his learning process and labors ahead now switching to focusing on the coffee, where he wants to be,and far less attention required fretting over, thinking about the gear.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Nurk2

#6: Post by Nurk2 »

As Frank Zappa so succinctly put it: "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar"

8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it sounds good, it is good
- Duke Ellington

Compass Coffee

#7: Post by Compass Coffee »

Peppersass wrote:Actually, Grasshopper, you've graduated from a white belt to an orange belt. That means you only have the yellow, blue, green, purple and brown belts left to go before you get the black belt. :mrgreen:

Seriously, there's no end to the learning process.
I agree and disagree. A black belt in no way indicates the end of learning but rather learned enough to really begin exploring in depth learning.
Mike McGinness

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC replying to Compass Coffee »

+1
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/