Environmentally friendly espresso machine

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

Does your espresso addiction prevent you from backcountry exploring? Now with the Nomad and your hand grinder you can enjoy espresso anywhere without electricity. :mrgreen:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uni ... -machinetm

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

If you watch the video, it is somewhat less gimmicky than it seems at first glance (possibly unlicensed photos and dishwater shots notwithstanding...). It apparently does generate appropriate pressure, and can be used without the pressurized "portafilter" valve. I have to wonder how much the water temperature drops after being added to the reservoir and making its way to the coffee. I also find the general shape and design kind of bizarre, given the target market of away from home portable use.
Chris

spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

thumb workout
No Espresso = Depresso

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Interesting project. The first extraction done during the explanatory demo looked quite nice. The subsequent pulls not so much. No discussion as to whether the water chamber is insulated or not, and there is evidently no air chamber to buffer the pumping pressure. Since the lever has to stop twice each cycle, maintaining constant pressure, or attempting to create a profile, will be difficult.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

allon

#5: Post by allon »

They use the words "perfect espresso" too many times.
And wtf?
The result is the highest quality espresso possible. In addition, the True Crema Valve™ compensates for coffee grounds and tamping variations so with the Nomad any one can make great espresso like a skilled barista. The produced beverage is far superior to that made by Moka pots, household electric espresso machines, or single serve pod machines. The Nomad makes perfect espresso shots with full crema that rival those made by the most expensive commercial equipment.
So many things wrong here.
Unless, I suppose, you consider the abilities of the average "skilled" barista and the expensive commercial machines that suffer at their hands.
LMWDP #331

UltramaticOrange

#6: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Given that there's no need for CO2 cartridges, I feel like this is the best portable option I've seen yet. Wish they'd show us the shower screen, and I wish there was a thermometer somewhere on the thing (on top of the water reservoir plug being the easiest location). I briefly wished the pump was crank driven until I realized that's a quick way to make a mess.

My curiosity is piqued.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

Carneiro

#7: Post by Carneiro »

I've seen a old foot pump on eBay these days, it seemed to be from Faema or it was used with a Faema machine, I don't remember... But this project seems a mix between Handpresso and Mypressi.

jfrescki

#8: Post by jfrescki »

Hey, they recommend preinfusing, and you don't have to use the crema valve, so barring temp issues, could be pretty good.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

SpromoSapiens

#9: Post by SpromoSapiens »

I agree most of those extractions didn't look so great, although that may be due to low water temp which might possibly be rectified with an insulated reservoir or more carefully chosen reservoir material. Either way it seems to me like those alternating thumbstrokes were resulting in some wild fluctuations of water pressure. As long as the minimum optimal pressure is met, I suppose the resulting shot could be fine, but also I wonder what sort of flavors will be favored by such a rapid-wave-shaped pressure profile.

Carneiro

#10: Post by Carneiro »

I've took a look and they are almost at their goal... It seems a fun project and much more creative than the ZPM, for instance, but so much fewer backers...