Does anyone else goto bed thinking of their morning espresso technique?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
ben8jam

#1: Post by ben8jam »

Cause I seem to be.

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

No, but I may have a few years ago!
Scott
LMWDP #248

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Damn, one more thing to worry about instead of falling asleep. :wink:

More seriously, the ideal is to get your technique practiced enough to be automatic; so you can worry about the taste of the shot instead. It takes a little time; but will happen.
Jim Schulman

Intrepid510

#4: Post by Intrepid510 »

Not technique so much as eager to wake up so I can drink some coffee. :D

Compass Coffee

#5: Post by Compass Coffee replying to Intrepid510 »

+1 Not thinking about technique but which coffee for first in the morning!
Mike McGinness

ben8jam (original poster)

#6: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

Lol. Yes, it is all about the coffee at the end of it ;)

Bikeminded

#7: Post by Bikeminded »

Uh, well, now that you mention it...I go to sleep thinking happy thoughts about about making espressos the next morning, the process, the tweaks to achieve balance, the cup.

There. I said it.

I feel kind of like I'm at EA....Espressohoulics Anonymous

Compass Coffee

#8: Post by Compass Coffee »

Compass Coffee wrote:+1 Not thinking about technique but which coffee for first in the morning!
Ok I gotta admit technique too can keep sleep from coming. Sometimes in addition to which coffee but which of the 4 main profiles I have programmed on Vesuvius I'll use or want to tweak! (Program #5 is my no profile straight to 9bar primarily for backflushing...)

The Twelve Steps of Espressoholics Anonymous
1. We admitted we were powerless over exceptional espresso, but of course we can manage it.
2. We came to believe no power could force us to drink sub standard shots or worse Charbucks!
3. We made a decision to turn our will and our bank accounts over to Home-Barista Sponsors, as we understood them.
4. We made a searching and fearless inventory of our espresso gear.
5. We admitted to no one they knew more about espresso than we did.
6. We were entirely ready to have inferior espresso removed from our lives forever.
7. We humbly asked our significant other for a larger espresso budget.
8. We made a list of all people we knew drinking Charbucks, and became willing to convert them all.
9. We made shots for everyone who entered our house, whether they asked for it or not.
10. We continued to take coffee bean inventory, and when low or not promptly ordered more.
11.We sought through new and exotic grinding and profile methods to improve our shots, as we knew them to be best, begging only for more money to carry that out.
12. Having had an espresso awakening as a result of those steps, we tried to force this message on sludge drinkers and to perfect these principles in all our cups.
*13. Continued to buy any and every espresso gadget recommended seeking ways and means to justify our excessive equipment clutter to our spouse.

(Steps modified with no offense intended. Similar steps saved, and continue to save my life going on 35 years Clean!)

First posted on Sweet Maria's Home Roast List June 16, 2002 in a Coffee Snobs Anonymous version..
Mike McGinness

ecuew

#9: Post by ecuew »

Often, yes. Especially if I'm having trouble with a coffee...I'm usually thinking how I'm going to modify the prep.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

Not since I was able to stop wondering if the Vario was going to go back to its espresso settings after grinding for drip coffee.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada