Do Americans use F or C when it comes to milk texturing? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
haydenbn (original poster)

#11: Post by haydenbn (original poster) »

Guys

I think you guys are taking this the wrong way. i am just trying to gather peoples opinion on what the predominant temp is used in the US coffee industry. (drink/milk temp)

I am sorry if you feel like you are being used. i am not gathering the info.
I know there are different industries. that use one or the other and or a combination of both.

This is mostly a high end temp gauge. Can be used for training, but most people buy it as an aesthetic instrument to further enhance there cafe look.

Fingers are good but they have a life span 2-3 years! They slowly get worse and worse for a full time Barista
unless you are doing it the pro way and holding your fingers at the rim of the jug. but i dont want to start a discussion about that.

sounds are a good idea, but over time become a bit annoying and unprofessional.

thanks for helping out everyone!

Compass Coffee

#12: Post by Compass Coffee »

haydenbn wrote:Guys

Fingers are good but they have a life span 2-3 years! They slowly get worse and worse for a full time Barista
unless you are doing it the pro way and holding your fingers at the rim of the jug. but i dont want to start a discussion about that.
Agree F is the standard in the US and you DID start a discussion on gauging milk temp by touch. For the record I turned professional over 7 years ago and do indeed steam by touch and my fingers are still intact and working. I also calibrate my touch temp periodically using a NSF 3 second response (freezing to boiling and vice versa) Thermapen thermometer and am rarely more than 5f off my target finish temp. And my "pro" way is gauging temp towards bottom of pitcher where the milk is not at the rim.
Mike McGinness

day

#13: Post by day »

Haha this is probably stupid but you could turn it into a "countdown" thermometer. It would start as a flat line and then as it hit 100 f or whatever it switches to 10 -which your instructions could explain as a particular phase like sinking the tip into the milk rather than frothing. Then as the temp rises the numbers fall to zero meaning perfect temp reach pull out of the milk. Pretty niche market though:) but many Americans hate to have to remember temperatures. Natural result if using F . Dont forget negative values if over temp.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Saber

#14: Post by Saber »

It really varies from group to group. I know some folks that use Fahrenheit as the standard for everything, others- such as my father- that do everything by centigrade- then there's me and some of my friends, who use semi-arbitrary measures "about skin temperature", fahrenheit measure and centigrade.

Generally though you're likely to see Fahrenheit, since Americans still use it predominantly.
"It's all fun and games until someone cracks the puck."

LMWDP #732

sweaner

#15: Post by sweaner »

I would like to see a pic of your device. I know that most of us here on the forum could adapt to C with little difficulty, so maybe some sales.

As a physician, I have much difficulty with body temperature/fever in C. I can't really get my mind to figure out how high a fever is in C. However, most other uses are OK.
Scott
LMWDP #248

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

I measure my brew temps for espresso in C, roast in F, and use my hand to measure the bottom of the steaming pitcher on the rare occasion that I steam milk.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

phillip canuck

#17: Post by phillip canuck »

There are many reasons to prefer the metric system over US/Imperial system. However, when it comes to fine tuning temperature, then I much prefer fahrenheit. I say this for baking bread (water/dough temperature); tempering chocolate; and body temperature. The difference between a fever of 100 and 101 is easier to read (figuratively and literally) than 37.8 and 38.3 (at least for me). This coming from someone that grew up with the metric system. That said, when it comes to weather-temperature I have no association with 68 or 88. Say that was 20 or 31 and I understand. As for milk steaming: I tried using thermometers without success, but using my palm/fingers has worked out great. Not to mention sound and sight.

-phillip

portamento

#18: Post by portamento »

In my experience, Fahrenheit produces better microfoam than Celsius.
Ryan