DIY lighting on espresso machine

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
genecounts

#1: Post by genecounts »

Considering getting some type of battery powered light strip or magnetic LED lights for my La Spaziale.

Searched HB and noticed a nice strip from IKEA on an installation on a Speedster back in 09. Unfortunately it was wired. Have been all over Amazon and the only one that strikes me is almost 3" diameter. Would be ok on right under the lip but the left one wouldn't fit. If I placed really wide it might.
Prob need no more than 2" diameter.

AnzoUSA has nice looking magnetic light but using C batteries would have too much depth.

Anyone wired their machine lately?

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I've ordered a few things from this site and always received what I expected. It will take a while to sift through what you don't want, but there is a good chance they might have something that will work.

http://www.dx.com

Besides the obvious variations on flashlights, look in lights for cars, there's lots of possibly useful 12V stuff for interior lighting.

Ira

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Although it's not super easy to see in this picture, I added a set of adjustable LED lights under my Duetto. You can adjust the color and intensity to pretty much any color you want. I ordered the light strip from a website that sells gear for home movie theater buffs. I think this light strip was originally designed to be placed behind a wall mounted TV for backlighting. It was only about $65 on sale if I recall. I can take some better pics when I get home if you like.

Works nicely with anything chrome and you can make it more subtle if you choose. This last pic was tweaked a bit if I recall properly.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

keepitsimple

#4: Post by keepitsimple »

Can't help you with battery powered LED's, but it may not be too difficult to install externally powered lights in your machine although I'm not familiar with its layout, so there may be specific problems.

I installed 2 (IKEA) LED's into my Reneka Techno quite some time ago. I think they work very well. They measure just 45mm across, including the plastic housing, and they're attached using sticky pads. They've been there for a couple of years without any problem. The very small power supply is outside the machine, so only low voltage in the wires to the LED's. (You can see it at the back on the right in the first picture) Made sure they avoided any hot components or pipework, and where they had to go round metal edges either wrapped them or put some sheathing over them just to be ultra safe.

Pics show what they look like when switched on, and where they are positioned "under the hood".

Hope it gives you some ideas. There are many more LED lights available today than there were when I did this. In particular, you can now get LED strips that can be cut to size.

hamish5178

#5: Post by hamish5178 »

Check out my post in Post a pic of your home espresso setup...

These are Ikea 'Dioder' LEDs. They run off mains (not battery) I have the wires trailing up past the grouphead through the machine and out the bottom panel near the back. There's plenty of openings and empty space to do this on a Vivaldi, just make sure the wires don't touch either boiler.

UltramaticOrange

#6: Post by UltramaticOrange »

I've used headlight LED lights to create a ring flash for my camera. Seems to me one should fit around a grouphead nicely. They come in 60mm, 70mm, 80mm, and 120mm (note these are outer, not inner diameters).

I've also used the cut-to-length self-adhesive (3M) strips for under-cabinet lights (also available on DealExtreme - and at 1/4 the cost). Personally, I don't think I'd want to use self-adhesive on my espresso machine. Then again, everything I do I try to make easy to undo if I don't like it later.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?