David Schomer @ TEDxRainier: The culinary art of coffee

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

Interesting TED talk: The culinary art of coffee
TEDxRainier wrote:David Schomer is the founder of Seattle's Espresso Vivace, a Seattle area coffee shop and roaster known for its high quality of coffee and roasting practices. Schomer is known within the coffee industry for his innovations, such as how he customizes his grinders and espresso machines to achieve a more constant water temperature, which ultimately leads to a better cup of coffee. Barista and coffee-bar owners have traveled from as far away as Australia and the UAE to learn from Vivaci's owner. Schomer is also credited with developing and popularizing latte art in the United States. In addition he has written "Espresso Coffee: Professional Techniques" in 1995, and an updated version "Espresso Coffee 2013." He has also produced a video course entitled "Caffe Latte Art", also in 1995.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Talk about a retro-blast from the past. I'm no fan; but I'm glad he's hanging in there.
Jim Schulman

Prescott CR

#3: Post by Prescott CR »

Thanx for posting that!

That talk was darn near a verbatim recitation of his article in Barista Magazine.

In case it helps, anyone can read that magazine online without a subscription. http://www.baristamagazine.com
-Richard

aecletec

#4: Post by aecletec replying to Prescott CR »

Why are there even adjustable PIDs anymore? ;)

Marshall

#5: Post by Marshall »

The reason Schomer is so specific about the date of his PID work (Feb. 28, 2001) is that Andy Schecter posted his PID breakthrough ("Tricked out Silvia") on alt.coffee two days later. Andy and Greg Scace had been working on these controllers for some time before that and have had a long-standing disagreement with Schomer about who should get the credit.

Andy's alt.coffee post here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... WH4UBXeAoJ.
Marshall
Los Angeles

jonr

#6: Post by jonr »

He writes "If the temperature varies during the extraction, you get a mishmash...". I disagree - perhaps he doesn't realize that a constant temp above the coffee means that the coffee experiences changing temperatures lower in the puck. Similar for flow - the best flow at any time point during extraction? - it depends. But I'll agree that constant flow is typically better than constant pressure. And that consistent inter-shot temps and flow rates (mostly what he is talking about) is important.