The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day... - Page 135

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
JmanEspresso

#1341: Post by JmanEspresso »

This video was just.. ya know.. You just have to watch it and see.

If you cant stand watching the whole thing(though I truly suggest you do), my favorite part, is from about 5:50, to 8:00.

keno

#1342: Post by keno »

A 52 gram septuple espresso shot! Now that's just plain crazy.

http://blog.zagat.com/2013/02/rim-cafe- ... ecord.html

Wonder where they got the basket?

Randy G.

#1343: Post by Randy G. »

JmanEspresso wrote:This video was just.. ya know.. You just have to watch it and see.
If you cant stand watching the whole thing(...
I watched the first minute or two and was yelling aloud, "GET ON WITH IT!"
I just couldn't take it.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

spiffdude

#1344: Post by spiffdude »

Randy G. wrote:I watched the first minute or two and was yelling aloud, "GET ON WITH IT!"
Well you should have. He went on to extract not one, but two lousy shots from the same puck... yes, the same puck. Makes me feel sad inside.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

JmanEspresso

#1345: Post by JmanEspresso »

Randy G. wrote:I watched the first minute or two and was yelling aloud, "GET ON WITH IT!"
I just couldn't take it.

Yeah it was very tough watching the video, but as was pointed out, the payoff of watching someone pull TWO 4oz shots from the same puck, was marvelous. Literally, stopped the pump, poured his first 4oz into a mondo-mug, replaced the cup, and started the pump again.

Priceless.

Randy G.

#1346: Post by Randy G. »

Oh.. the horror.
I dealt with Rogov.
I ran over the Friis Coffee vault with my proverbial truck which is mightier than the sword.
I exposed the Malabar Gold Incident (please..no applause).
I took the heat and dealt with [you know who] on alt.coffee
I think I have paid my dues. :wink:

But maybe, this coming weekend, with a bit of the Macallan in me, I might be brave enough to watch it, but if he was smart he will have read this thread and disabled responses to the video before I get there..
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

AngerManagement

#1347: Post by AngerManagement »

Two shots from the same puck...

Seen it too many time in some places...

What is really funny is when they use a single basket for a double shot....

PS. 5 sugars with that please LOL
Ability is nothing without opportunity. - Napoleon Bonaparte

doubleOsoul

#1348: Post by doubleOsoul »

keno wrote:A 52 gram septuple espresso shot! Now that's just plain crazy.

http://blog.zagat.com/2013/02/rim-cafe- ... ecord.html

<image>

Wonder where they got the basket?
I want to taste that!

JmanEspresso

#1349: Post by JmanEspresso »

^^As long as fresh coffee is used, and proper distribution.. basically don't treat it as a gimmick, treat it like a proper shot, not only would I try it, but I bet it would be decent, good even. A blend could probably be developed to play to the strenghts. Yeah Id def give it a try.

Two shots from the same puck.. Man, Ive never seen it until I found this video. However, very early in my learning about espresso, before I even bought any equipment and was just learning and reading and researching, I was visiting a local breakfast shop which I went too all the time for egg sandwhiches and bagels, pastry etc etc. So I decided, this time, Id try and espresso beverage...

-Can I have a Latte?
What Size?(Holds up the medium and large coffee cups, which is 12oz and 16oz)
-Large. Does that have a double shot of espresso or a single?
Whatever you want.
-Great, Ill have a double shot large latte.

So he goes to make my drink. Grabs the portafilter from under the drip tray(so on the counter, room temp)which I notice has a single basket in it, and goes to the grinder. Turns it on, but the doser is full to the brim anyway. Two swipes of the doser lever, gives him a mound of coffee, which, using the on-grinder spring loaded tamper, he proceeds to try and jam two doses worth of coffee into this single basket. He then sweeps off whatever the tamper couldn't pack in. Goes to the machine and puts the PF in the group, and with all his might, slllllllooooooowwwwllly, but surely gets the portafilter to crank over to about 4oclock. Grabs two metal brew pitchers(you know those little 3oz pitchers) and puts them under the spouts and starts the shot. Grabs a pitcher and milk from the fridge below the machine, and sticks a HARDCORE milk and hot cocoa crusted steam wand into the milk pitcher, and SCREEEEEEECHHeeeesssss the steam on. Making all sorts of bobbing and side to side movements with the pitcher, he eventually gets the milk, now worked into a hard seafoam, to just spill over the side slightly, which prompts him to turn off the steam. THEN HE TURNS OFF THE SHOT, which I didn't realize was still pouring! Both of the 3oz brew pitchers, were overflowing with a yellowish white looking substance. Tosses BOTH(cuz I wanted a double)of them into the cup, and the using a spoon, gives me mostly hot milk, with a dollop of froth on top....

"Here you go sir. I left the lid off so you can let it cool and enjoy your drink. Thanks!"

The cup is too hot to hold. Even with one of those cardboard sleeves, its HOT. The steam pouring off this thing is crazy, I almost feel silly walking away with it. I smell it, and while it didn't smell vile or anything, it didn't smell delicious. It smelled like hot milk, with a hint of rubber. After I felt it was cool enough(literally like minimum 5-6minutes later), I took a sip, and burned my damn tongue. It was STILL piping hot.

Its actually a good thing I burned my tongue, because this was TERRIBLY, horribly vile. The epitome of what NOT to do. Omg, what a joke.

Around the same time I had this experience, I recalled reading something on Coffeegeek forums.. You know it Im sure... "With a proper setup and good beans, you can make coffee and espresso drinks that are better than 99% of the drinks out there.

It was this experience which made me believe that statement, and was one of the first of a few true revelations about coffee and espresso.

Sorry for the length, I know I can get a bit rambly at times...

TomC
Team HB

#1350: Post by TomC »

I actually signed in to leave a video comment, then realized I didn't have the heart to be honest. If he likes what he's making, then he doesn't need me to rain on his parade. If I thought that there was a chance to actually teach the guy or the folks who think that's espresso, then maybe it would be worth it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/