Confused about definition of "ristretto"

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Wiccanrista

#1: Post by Wiccanrista »

I've heard two things...and it can't be both!

A RISTRETTO SHOT

It either...

Begins with a finer grind, which slows the length of the water passing through the filter basket. Still taking a normal length of time, but producing less volume in the total espresso shot.

OR....

It's a normal grind, but the machine is turned off earlier, creating the short shot that way.

NEITHER ONE SOUNDS TERRIBLY CORRECT NOR APPEALING.
I'm yanking my hair out on this one, because I've searched every reach of the internet and both answers are equally stated. If you could also tell me how much should be in the glass if I am NOT using a 2-way spout. I'd assume that a ristretto would pull a little less than 1.5 ounces (again, whilst not using a 2-way spout). But I could be wrong on that one.

AND EVEN IF....
the short shot measured out to be 1.5 oz, how is it so different from a regular double shot? Obviously, with just .5 ounces missing...
Is it because the grinds are finer? How does that change the taste? Or is it because we turn off the machine earlier? How does one gain anything from that? I feel like you would just loose that yummy blonde finish (My favorite part of the shot).

PLEASE TELL ME!!!!

EvanOz85

#2: Post by EvanOz85 »

What the heck dude, chill out.

The first definition is the "correct" one. Grind finer to produce a shorter shot in the same amount of time as a normale.

Sorry that doesn't sound "appealing" to you. :roll:
Wiccanrista wrote:that yummy blonde finish (My favorite part of the shot).
.....a joke?

Wiccanrista (original poster)

#3: Post by Wiccanrista (original poster) »

Joke how? The last part of the shot is the prettiest <3
And thanks, btw. I hope I will have more responses agreeing with you because the last two baristas I asked said the correct answer was the latter.

EvanOz85

#4: Post by EvanOz85 »

Wiccanrista wrote:Joke how? The last part of the shot is the prettiest <3
Grab a sample of just the blonde end and taste it. Report back.

Wiccanrista wrote:And thanks, btw. I hope I will have more responses agreeing with you because the last two baristas I asked said the correct answer was the latter.
I would not purchase anything from a shop employing those baristas.

keno

#5: Post by keno »

Wiccanrista wrote:The last part of the shot is the prettiest <3
Just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find the beginning of the shot the most beautiful - when it looks like glistening chocolate syrup and not the head on a pint of Guinness. In any case, overall taste is the most important thing. If you like lungos, by all means drink them.

PS There was just another thread a few days ago on the definition of a ristretto. You may want to review that: 14 grams in, less than 2 ounces out = espresso or ristretto?

Wiccanrista (original poster)

#6: Post by Wiccanrista (original poster) »

I don't think I've ever tasted only one part of a shot before...

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Wiccanrista wrote:I don't think I've ever tasted only one part of a shot before...
That's called the "test of thirds" and you may find it helpful since manipulation brew parameters shift the taste profile towards/away from the first third, second third, last third. I present this in the video Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Taste Diagnosis.

As for the rest of your post, I agree with Evan: Relax. Forum exchanges are text-only and lots of !?!? and uppercase are interpreted as yelling. When in doubt, step back for a few minutes before pressing Submit.
Wiccanrista wrote:...clearly, the gods of espresso dubbed you the infinite holder of all coffee knowledge and gave you the license to act like a superior jerk to everyone...
As Ryan noted, this is covered in the Guidelines for productive online discussion. Contributors to this thread should review it before posting. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

EvanOz85 wrote:Grind finer to produce a shorter shot in the same amount of time as a normale.
In my experience, ristretto pour times are a little longer. Al's Rule states it more formally, but I consider it more like "Al's Guideline".
Dan Kehn

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

EvanOz85 wrote:The first definition is the "correct" one. Grind finer to produce a shorter shot in the same amount of time as a normale.
+1
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

EvanOz85

#10: Post by EvanOz85 »

HB wrote:In my experience, ristretto pour times are a little longer.
That is my experience as well, but I use a machine with a 53mm portafilter and wasn't sure if it was simply due to that. I guess it's a universal thing then.