Coffer: bottled fermented cold brew at SCAA 2014

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
SpromoSapiens

#1: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Austin folks taking Austin-roasted Cuvee coffee, cold-brewing it and then utilizing a "proprietary" fermentation process resulting in natural carbonation and added flavor complexity. I tasted it, it was okay, though i'm more intrigued by their suggestions for using it in cocktails and ice-cream floats. Also i'm just happy to see someone potentially give stumptown a run for their money in the classy glass-bottled cold brew market. SCAA 2014 is their product launch. I am totally unaffiliated.

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

Is it just Kambucha? Instead of using a tea base with the mother using coffee?

Advertisement
cdneddy

#3: Post by cdneddy »

I tried it and I really think is an acquired taste.....

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

I tried it and it was unlike what I thought it would be. They kept repeating the fermentation angle, I suggested they pull back from that as a product identifier that they focus on, since most will picture pickles and sauerkraut before a refreshing cold beverage.

Anyway, once he glanced down and noticed my press pass, he shoved 2 bottles into my hands deftly and quietly.

I don't even know if I can get it back on the plane tomorrow. Checked, it will no doubt explode, carry-on is still limited to 3-4oz unless I can convince the TSA it's bottled infant formula or cleverly pre-packaged breast milk :roll:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

jonny

#5: Post by jonny »

Put it in a couple good zip lock bags, check it, and hope for the best! Haha. Well it sure sounds interesting. This idea has crossed my mind as I looooove fermentation. Anything new to ferment is great. Never thought coffee would come out palatable though since it is always best when it is fresh brewed... Although, I'm sure no one would expect fermented fish to come out good either! They ought to keep the fermented bit. Maybe just play it down a bit though? Kombucha and any other fermented food is becoming extremely popular. No doubt, with good marketing and a good product, this could be big.

I kind of doubt that they used a kombucha mother in this. I would think it would be too vinegary and funky. Is that what it tastes like? I would guess that it is merely primed with sugar and inoculated with yeast as home brewers often do to carbonate their beer in the bottle. Maybe I'll try it and see what happens :?

SpromoSapiens (original poster)

#6: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

jonny wrote:....I doubt that they used a kombucha mother in this. .....I would guess that it is merely primed with sugar and inoculated with yeast as home brewers often do to carbonate their beer in the bottle.
It's not vinegarry; i think you're probably right, Jonny, probably not kombucha-type fermentation. The carbonation is subtle in the kombucha way, though. Not as fizzy as a beer or soda, and he said it wouldn't have much of a head on it if poured into a glass.

It's got an earthiness that, by virtue of the power of suggestion of its coffee base, you might consider "roastiness," but it's indistinct. There's a subtle sweetness but it's mostly pretty dry. Overall not a very strong flavor experience. Were I to drink it for refreshment on a hot summer day, i'd want it to be sweeter. A splash of aged, vanilla-noted bourbon would go well, or Kahlua perhaps. Frankly i'm not sure that it will be a big hit, but with its trendy old-timey font it'll look great on bars and in coolers.

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

Two bottles successfully made it home in my checked luggage. I'll share more about it later on in the next coming days. I'm pleased with it, in general. More specifics later.

Advertisement
oktyone

#8: Post by oktyone »

TomC wrote:They kept repeating the fermentation angle, I suggested they pull back from that as a product identifier that they focus on, since most will picture pickles and sauerkraut before a refreshing cold beverage.
Ever had a cold beer or hard cider on a sunny day? both are "fermented" :mrgreen: ..

I've experimented with Water Kefir and Kombucha for fermented coffee beverages and have gotten pretty interesting results, i can't see why this wouldn't be a hit if done properly.. but yeah, from a marketing standpoint, using the term fermentation might not be ideal..

jonny

#9: Post by jonny »

oktyone wrote:Ever had a cold beer or hard cider on a sunny day? both are "fermented" :mrgreen: ..
Tom is a home brewer, so I know he knows this very well. I think he was referring to the average/casual consumer. Most beers, even most craft microbrews, do not talk much about fermentation in their marketing. I understand what he was saying. I think the average person, when they hear "fermented," probably thinks "funky," i.e. cheese, sauerkraut, soy sauce, etc. These are not things people want associated with their coffee :wink:

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

jonny wrote: I think the average person, when they hear "fermented," probably thinks "funky," i.e. cheese, sauerkraut, soy sauce, etc. These are not things people want associated with their coffee :wink:

This.