Coffee preparation in the 18th century

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
mathof

#1: Post by mathof »

I've been reading about European coffee houses in the 18th century. They sound like great places to hang out, but the authors never say how the coffee itself was prepared. Were roasted beans pulverised with a mortar and pestle and then prepared like tea -- hot water poured over the grounds which were then left to steep. Anyone know?

Matt

Andy

#2: Post by Andy »

Excerpted from http://www.coffeemakersetc.com/coffee-history.html

• 1700's - Before the time when filters were used, coffee is prepared by boiling coffee grounds with water. Many coffee pots are designed, all with the purpose of trying to trap the coffee grounds before the coffee is poured. Typical designs feature a pot with a flat expanded bottom to catch sinking grounds and a sharp pour spout that traps the floating grinds. Other designs feature a wide bulge in the middle of the pot to catch grounds when coffee is poured. In France, in about 1710, the Infusion brewing process is introduced, which involves submersing the ground coffee, usually enclosed in a linen bag, in hot water and letting it steep or "infuse" until the desired strength brew is achieved.
------------------------------------------
• 1780's - The first coffee brewers to feature a place for a filter, called Mr. Biggin coffee pots, began to surface and become very popular. Coffee is made by placing a cloth sock across the mouth of the brewer, putting coffee grounds into the sock, and then pouring hot water over the grounds. Coffee was then dispensed from a spout on the side of the pot. The quality of the brewed coffee depends on the size of the grounds - too course and the coffee is weak; too fine and the water doesn't go through the filter. A major problem with this brewer was that the taste of the cloth filter - whether cotton, burlap or an old sock - transfers to the taste of the coffee.
• 1790-1810 - There are lots of innovations from France. With help from Jean Baptiste de Belloy, the Archbishop of Paris, the idea that coffee should not be boiled gains acceptance. The French Drip Pot is developed. In this method of brewing coffee, two chambers are stacked one upon the other, with a cloth filter placed in between. Finely ground coffee is packed into the upper chamber and boiling water is poured over it. The coffee slowly drips into the lower chamber, from which it is served. The process is slow and the resulting coffee not very hot. Count Rumford, an eccentric American scientist residing in Paris, develops a French Drip Pot with an insulating water jacket to keep the coffee hot. The first metal filter is developed and patented by French inventor.

civ

#3: Post by civ »

Hello:
Andy wrote: ... placing a cloth sock across the mouth of the brewer, putting coffee grounds into the sock, and then pouring hot water over the grounds.
I learnt from a dear great-aunt of mine (lived with us the last 15 years of her life) to make coffee in just that same manner.
It has been and still is a popular method of brewing coffee here in AR.
Andy wrote: ... the taste of the cloth filter - whether cotton, burlap or an old sock - transfers to the taste of the coffee.
She rinsed the cotton 'sock' in hot water quite a few times, hung it to dry and then stored it in a jar with ground coffee for a couple of weeks before using it. It was thoroughly rinsed after using, always with water.

She was a a real master at brewing coffee with this method, I acquired my passion for coffee from her.

Cheers,

CIV

mathof (original poster)

#4: Post by mathof (original poster) »

What fascinating responses to my original question. Thank you.

Matt

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

You might want to check out William Ukers' 1922 All About Coffee on Google Books for a wealth of coffee history.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

canuckcoffeeguy

#6: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

If you haven't seen it already, this PBS documentary on the history of coffee is interesting:
PBS- Black Coffee, Part1of3 - The Irresistible Bean: https://youtu.be/TTDy-L0NKIg

channo

#7: Post by channo »

Andy wrote:Excerpted from http://www.coffeemakersetc.com/coffee-history.html

• 1700's - Before the time when filters were used, coffee is prepared by boiling coffee grounds with water. Many coffee pots are designed, all with the purpose of trying to trap the coffee grounds before the coffee is poured. Typical designs feature a pot with a flat expanded bottom to catch sinking grounds and a sharp pour spout that traps the floating grinds. Other designs feature a wide bulge in the middle of the pot to catch grounds when coffee is poured. In France, in about 1710, the Infusion brewing process is introduced, which involves submersing the ground coffee, usually enclosed in a linen bag, in hot water and letting it steep or "infuse" until the desired strength brew is achieved.
• 1780's - The first coffee brewers to feature a place for a filter, called Mr. Biggin coffee pots, began to surface and become very popular. Coffee is made by placing a cloth sock across the mouth of the brewer, putting coffee grounds into the sock, and then pouring hot water over the grounds. Coffee was then dispensed from a spout on the side of the pot. The quality of the brewed coffee depends on the size of the grounds - too course and the coffee is weak; too fine and the water doesn't go through the filter. A major problem with this brewer was that the taste of the cloth filter - whether cotton, burlap or an old sock - transfers to the taste of the coffee.
• 1790-1810 - There are lots of innovations from France. With help from Jean Baptiste de Belloy, the Archbishop of Paris, the idea that coffee should not be boiled gains acceptance. The French Drip Pot is developed. In this method of brewing coffee, two chambers are stacked one upon the other, with a cloth filter placed in between. Finely ground coffee is packed into the upper chamber and boiling water is poured over it. The coffee slowly drips into the lower chamber, from which it is served. The process is slow and the resulting coffee not very hot. Count Rumford, an eccentric American scientist residing in Paris, develops a French Drip Pot with an insulating water jacket to keep the coffee hot. The first metal filter is developed and patented by French inventor.
hello everyone
So much confusion in the assembly of information on the internet. The mirror effect information with errors that are reflected fast by the internet visibility.
Is the holand and Portugal to manufacture the first machine other than the ibrik.
The powder was put to boil like ibrik but the heat management technology, 1700.
1785 is Dubelloy (cousin of the bishop) who invented the filtration with a metal filter. But as a result of previous work on the chemical extration substances for pharmacy.
1815 Count Real implements to extract the coffee an English invention for washing clothes, the pressure of a column of hot water. Coffee green or roast.
My admiration was Mr. William Ukers for the great research work but when we consult the books mr Ukers has read , does not tell the whole story but just what he thinks of him what should be the story. Yes bigest work but reste 60% of information to coffee machine dont speak Mr Uker....
Ciao
Andrea

doubleOsoul

#8: Post by doubleOsoul »

Cool thread. Has anyone ever seen/read this book?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-F-F-set-Huner ... 4d307df1bd

boar_d_laze

#9: Post by boar_d_laze »

Fascintating stuff.

Here's a link to the Project Gutenberg page for All About Coffee.

Hare some highlights I've drawn from a couple of other sources:
  • First filter on a "rammer" (sort of) French Press patent -- 1806
  • First, not-patented, vacuum pots -- 1820s (probably Germany)
  • First vacuum pot patent -- 1835 (France)
  • First balance beam siphon patent -- 1844 (France)
  • Napierian brewer (similar to the balance beam, but without the balance beam, and popular in England, not patented until "improved" much later -- 1840s
From the selection you can probably tell that I've always been interested in FPs and vacuum pots. We have a collection of FPs, and not counting our espresso machine, my two favorite brewers are an Espro and a Royal (almost identical to the 1844 patent).

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

channo

#10: Post by channo »

Fascintating stuff.

Here's a link to the Project Gutenberg page for All About Coffee.

Hare some highlights I've drawn from a couple of other sources:

First filter on a "rammer" (sort of) French Press patent -- 1806
The first patent (to my knowledge) for coffee maker
On 25 March 1802 the chemical pharmacological coffee,
Henrion (tinsmith) in Paris.
On June 20, 1806 without boiling coffee filter and air bath,
Hadrot (tinsmith) in Paris.
The french press was invented in metal by Mayer & Delforge (french press) 1852.

First, not-patented, vacuum pots -- 1820s (probably Germany)
The physical chemist Gay-Lussac in 1820 discovered the contraction of gas and is a physicist Mr Norember,(Germany) who has applied for coffee.
But the glass was too fragile and Norember give a principle to which Mr Soleil filed a patent in 1835 and coffeemakers metal vertical position. That is why Napier in Scotland has never filed a patent and disposed principle horizontally.

First vacuum pot patent -- 1835 (France)
First balance beam siphon patent -- 1844 (France)
Napierian brewer (similar to the balance beam, but without the balance beam, and popular in England, not patented until "improved" much later -- 1840s

From the selection you can probably tell that I've always been interested in FPs and vacuum pots. We have a collection of FPs, and not counting our espresso machine, my two favorite brewers are an Espro and a Royal (almost identical to the 1844 patent).
I found three manufacturers (Penant, Gabet and Malpeyre) of these "balance" in France between 1844/1870. The Royal is Belgian brand and a the Swiss also made (I do not remember the brand!) Between 1975/1990. there are many worlds to discover your passion Rich, good road to you.
Andrea
Andrea