Coffee ice cream recipe

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
TrlstanC

#1: Post by TrlstanC »

I just whipped up a batch of this today (using some of the Guatemala Tonx had earlier this month), and it's easily the best coffee ice cream I've ever made at home, and is probably better than all but the best local shops. The recipe is adapted from the Cooks Illustrated vanilla ice cream recipe in the July & August 2011 issue. (Link here, but you need a membership) which is the most consistently creamy recipe I've tried at home, most end up icey after a few hours in the fridge, but this one always comes out perfect.

And steeping (or brewing) the grinds right in the cream mixture avoids the iciness you can get from the extra water from pouring coffee or espresso in the mix, and you can also control how strong it gets too. (Got this tip from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream). I'm looking forward to trying it with different coffees to see what kind of origin flavors come through, or work well in ice cream form.
Mix:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat over medium high heat for about 5 to 10 minutes (until it hits 175f)

Whip 4 egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar, temper with the hot mixture, combine everything and heat for another 5 to 10 minutes (until it hits 180f)

Take off the heat and mix in 20 grams (about 1/4 cup) coarsely ground coffee, I used something a little coarser than french press, and let "brew" for 5 minutes. It doesn't brew as fast as coffee, so I just tasted it a few times until it was strong enough. Filter out the grounds by pouring through a fine sieve, or cheese cloth (I also thought that maybe a french press might work here). Some fines make it through, but they don't seem to noticeably overextract once things get cold. Then let the mixture cool for 20 minutes or so, put 1 cup in a small container (or zip lock bag) and put in the freezer overnight, the rest goes in a big bowl (or big bag) and goes in the fridge overnight. The next day (or whenever), mix them together to make a consistent mix and freeze in your home ice cream maker. I use the little Cuisinart, and it comes out great after only 20 minutes or so. Move to an air-tight container and freeze until solid (or just eat it as is :D )

zicher

#2: Post by zicher »

Thanks for this recipe! I made it today, and it's easily the best coffee ice cream I've ever tasted. I made it on the strong side - much stronger than anything in the stores - and never knew what I was missing. I also added about a tablespoon of Kahlua to the recipe. The coffee I used was a Brazil Cerrado Dry Process that I roasted to about Full City+ last night.

I was a bit surprised about the amount of ice cream it made - probably only enough for 3 small servings. I may have lost more to trying to strain out the grounds than I could have.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Here is my run down on coffee icecream from back in 06.

Making desserts with espresso (coffee ice cream, tiramisu, etc)
Dave Stephens

TrlstanC (original poster)

#4: Post by TrlstanC (original poster) »

That's interesting, adding in ice cold whipping cream at the end (as opposed to making the mix with the cream, and then freezing a portion), that's probably a little easier.

I would definitely recomend replacing some of the sugar with corn syrup, anything from a couple tablespoons up to 1/3 of a cup. They're not exactly equivalent sweetness wise (you can use a little bit more CS than sugar), but I usually just replace them 1-to-1. It doesn't make a big difference when they come out of the ice cream maker, but after a day or two in the freezer any batches I make without CS start turning really icey.

allon

#5: Post by allon »

I usually add a pinch of xanthan gum to my ice cream as a stabilizer; it really improves the melting characteristics.

And if you have problems with icing (fortress of solitude syndrome) research the use of winter wheat proteins in ice cream - there was some really interesting research from the food sciences program at the University of Guelph a number of years ago.
LMWDP #331

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I'll have to try this recipe out some time.

If you own a Coava Kone, it makes a good china cap / strainer in a pinch and probably could be used in place of the cheesecloth or sieve.

*I actually used some cheesecloth the other day to block the intake of a pump to keep from sucking in potassium chloride chunks when recharging a water softener.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TheJohnNewton

#7: Post by TheJohnNewton »

TrlstanC - Have you tried the Black Coffee recipe in Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream? If so how does it compare? I haven't made it yet but the other recipes of her's I've made have all been very smooth and creamy and resist icing in the freezer very well. I was going to try the Cooks Illustrated recipe but hers came out so well I've just been using hers. BTW, I do use a french press for steeping coffee/cream for ice cream.

TrlstanC (original poster)

#8: Post by TrlstanC (original poster) »

This recipe is basically a hybrid of the Jeni's and CI recipes. I've tried some of the other recipes in her book, and generally the flavors are really good, but I haven't gotten consistent results for smoothness. I think the combo of corn starch, cream cheese and corn syrup can work well for some recipes but not others. Plus some flavors, like coffee, I just using eggs for a little extra richness.

joatmon

#9: Post by joatmon »

I'm shocked that espresso purists would consider making ice cream without using a proper ice cream freezer like a White Mountain. The equivalent discussion at Home-IceCreamMaker.com would involve making espresso using a plunger.

TheJohnNewton

#10: Post by TheJohnNewton »

joatmon - Well this is a coffee site not an ice cream site :) The trick to making home ice cream is getting it smooth (small ice crystals) without the commercial equipment that can freeze the mix much more quickly. And then also keeping it smooth when stored for a while in a home freezer. My personal preference is for more of a gelato style texture which seems even more elusive than a US style ice cream. The Jens recipes that I've tried get pretty close using typical home equipment.

TristanC - I'll just have to give your recipe a try as well as Jens and compare. It's tough work I know :D