Coffee Freshness System

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
gr2020

#1: Post by gr2020 »

Just noticed this today - it's a system that pressurizes a container of coffee with CO2, claiming freshness for a much longer time. I don't think I'm particularly interested to the tune of $599, but has anyone used this?

http://www.coffeefreshness.com/

chrisbodnarphoto

#2: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

I believe TomC wrote a 'review' of a pre-production model here on the forum some time ago! Would be worth digging for!

Advertisement
gr2020 (original poster)

#3: Post by gr2020 (original poster) »

Ah - thanks! I tried to search before posting, but coffee freshness is a pretty common term here. :) Searched for coffee freshness system co2, and had better luck!

Here's a thread about it here, in case anyone else is looking for it:

Seeking feedback on Coffee Freshness System prototype

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

I now have the latest production prototype sitting on my counter. The designer dropped it off last week. It's certainly a lot more user friendly, in terms of nicer handles and latches. Plus it's pretty much quite in operation. I filled it up with about 2 pounds of fresh Caffe Lusso espresso I bought and it's sitting waiting for me to get a day off to enjoy!

The technology works. My testing and review of the original prototype was a positive experience. Old_Nuc did a far more precise testing of it and shared his impressions which seem to equal mine.

I told the designer that it was going to be a bit of challenge at that price from day one, but there is value to be had and if the line develops to where they can have smaller containers for several coffees, it would really be a major plus for this fan base (HB).
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Fluffeepuff

#5: Post by Fluffeepuff »

TomC wrote:I told the designer that it was going to be a bit of challenge at that price from day one, but there is value to be had and if the line develops to where they can have smaller containers for several coffees, it would really be a major plus for this fan base (HB).
A model that held 2 lbs and was $200 (including the first can of CO2), I'd 100% try it out. What's the max capacity of the one sitting on your counter?

I think it's a really cool idea - thanks for sharing. Didn't see the previous post from last year on it so I'm glad it popped up again! Gunna keep my eye on it.

EDIT - I saw in the other shared post that there is are 850gm & 500gm cylinders. Need to sit down and read all 8 pages soon.

OldNuc

#6: Post by OldNuc »

The latest cylinders are solid one piece cast polycarbonate and at present somewhere between 800 and 900 grams. The present unit is considerably more user friendly. A great deal of the value here is in the convenience of having readily available fresh beans on the counter ready to grind. I have not managed to find a stale fail time for roasted beans, I have tested for it though.

Keep in mind some of that other thread is old news.

shawndo

#7: Post by shawndo »

For those that have this, what is the actual workflow like?
Do you purchase/roast 1-2 lbs at a time, fill a canister, then re-pressurize for every dose/session?
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC replying to shawndo »

Basically this ^ I leave the canister mounted all the time and just unhinge it and scoop out my dose onto my little scale.

What they really need is a major investor who can help them lower the cost of manufacturing by buying in larger orders. If they can get to the point where the kit comes with like 3 small canisters and one large one, they'd sell quite well I think.

I'm a bit over a week in to my second run at the latest production prototype that has all the nicer build qualities. I have an odd work schedule that consumes the end of my week and weekend usually, leaving the early part of the week to pull shots. I haven't noticed any decline in quality and the system is easier to use than opening jars and hustling to and from the chest freezer for smaller doses.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

OldNuc

#9: Post by OldNuc »

The canister will hold 700-800 gm depending on roast level. I just fill it full and then for every shot throughout the day I depressurize, open and scoop out the approximate dose in the filter basket and weigh bot basket and dose to a known desired value, add or subtract a bean or so to get the dose and then close canister and pressurize. I run probably 6 to 8 double shots a day trough a La Pavoni and from beginning to end of a canister of beans I notice no degradation. The time to depressurize, open, scoop, adjust weight, close and pressurize is all in the timing for Pavoni heat up and pressurize. By the time I have run the 14.2gm dose through the Pharos and dumped back in the basket and tamped the Pavoini is at the desired temp from cold to pull the shot.

I agree that the latest iteration of the CFS is a nice addition and is much more user friendly that a 300gm supply canister in the refrigerator that may or may not be OK when you get the last 14.2 gm out of it.

Finding major investors to invest in specialty coffee hardware is a tall order. It would be nice though.

shawndo

#10: Post by shawndo »

Any comments on sodastream canister vs external? I think thats the last thing I have to decide before buying one of these.

My issue is that I don't have a car and I don't really see any places that do a refilling service online. I also don't really know alot about the co2 refill market. (beverage, vs paintball, vs tool shops, etc)

I really interested in this and I think this could be a major step in the quest for quality-coffee-shop consistency at home. Since a coffee shop can always serve "day 8" post-roast if they wanted to, I wouldn't be able to do that unless I roasted every day and kept a rotation.

I've been having doubts about my freezing regiment and I believe now my problems are due to a less-than-quality frost-free freezer. I moved everything to the floor freezer, but even if I only freeze 5 days worth of coffee, there is still a life cycle there.

It is costly for a new toy in the work flow, but if it really adds that much consistency you could make an argument that its worth a significant percentage of a good grinder. (That's my purchasing-rationalization muscle flexing...)
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra