Coffee consumption associated with increase in life years, reduction in healthcare costs

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

Happy International Coffee Day!!

Thought I'd share with HBers the coffee research I conducted that is making news today.

Coffee consumption associated with increase in life years, reduction in healthcare costs

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Very interesting! Any chance you could share a link to the actual paper, for those of us who are geeky enough to want to know more details about the methodology? Also, did you offer any speculations about the causal pathway in the paper? If so, I'd be curious to hear what mechanism you think is at work here.
LMWDP #435

keno (original poster)

#3: Post by keno (original poster) »

Hi Mark,

Great question. This press release and news is based on some posters we presented at a health economics conference in May that we thought would be nice to get out for International Coffee Day. We are writing an article that I hope to be able to share once it's published.

Our health economic research is based on previously published studies. We took meta-analyses about coffee consumption and its association with chronic disease and cancers and developed an analysis looking at the effect that would have on life years and healthcare costs associated with preventing those diseases. The health effects seem to be quite strong for diabetes and liver disease. The underlying studies are cohort and case-control studies, as is typical with most nutritional research, so there is definitely a limitation around establishing cause and effect. Unfortunately, it would be almost impossible to conduct good randomized controlled trials looking at the long-term health effects of coffee consumption. However, some of these observational studies do seem to show a dose-response effect.

Coffee contains thousands of compounds including many antioxidants, so your question about the mechanism of action is a very interesting one that is ripe for additional research. Our research did not look at MOA. But I can tell you that for diabetes it is not caffeine since the effect holds for both regular and decaf coffee. For some neurological conditions (eg, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's) the evidence suggests that the MOA may be caffeine.