Coffee bean prices (worst case scenarios?)

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
beanhacker

#1: Post by beanhacker »

It looks like beans will be around for a while but with climate change and potential impact on some markets I've been wondering how expensive coffee might get. Some regions can move 500 meters up to offset 1-3c degree rises in temp. Some countries like Brazil that export iirc 1/3 the worlds coffee could be decimated by climate change. At the moment in NZ I pay around $10 for 200-250gms from a friendly local roaster. Could that conceivable one day be $50 for 200 grams? Maybe other technologies can help the situation as well. Do you guys see a certain future for coffee supply or it becoming an extremely rare commodity?

yatesd

#2: Post by yatesd »

I'm not worried about it. If you are, then places like Canada will become great growing regions. I recommend selling your home today and moving to Canada or Siberia to beat the rush. Please don't worry about taking a loss on your own property. You will make up any differences by making smart investments today.

beanhacker (original poster)

#3: Post by beanhacker (original poster) »

Well, I'm bottom of the South Island New Zealand and it looks like we're somewhat ok based on climate models. Only time will tell :) Would be cool if NZ could grow some coffee one day.