Coffee and progeny

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
kaffidrikker

#1: Post by kaffidrikker »

I've been thinking recently about how to get my two very young sons into great coffee. My oldest loves to help me grind the KyM. The Europiccola isn't exactly child friendly so there won't be any involvement on his part for several years. I would really like for them to not just grow up drinking specialty coffee, but also preparing it. It'd be sad (to me) if I ended up being the only one to make drinks for everyone. I guess I'm just asking how are/did you expose/interest your kids in coffee?

Thought that this was really neat, but might be pushing it a little too far: :D http://www.amazon.com/Pretend-Gaggia-Wo ... 629&sr=8-3
LMWDP #225

SlowRain

#2: Post by SlowRain »

I know you're looking for a toy for tots, so I can't really help you there, but when the time comes I think an AeroPress might be a good start--just watch out for boiling water. You'll have to help support it for them so it doesn't tip over, or else build a stand like this guy did:
Maybe something shorter than his, but you get the idea.

But, like I said, I have no idea what to do in the mean time.

noah

#3: Post by noah »

kaffidrikker wrote:Thought that this was really neat, but might be pushing it a little too far: :D http://www.amazon.com/Pretend-Gaggia-Wo ... 629&sr=8-3
What a great idea for a kids toy. It says its unavailable now, though. Have you found any places that sell it now?

I use a digital scale to weigh my coffee dose, and let the kids scoop the beans until the right dosage it hit. Other than that, I remember being very young (maybe 4 or 5) and always being allowed to have a little cup of coffee with sugar and cream in a little plastic kids toy cup. Just being able to participate in the morning ritual of coffee that was obviously of great importance to adults was a real blast.
LMWDP #263

timo888

#4: Post by timo888 »

kaffidrikker wrote: I guess I'm just asking how are/did you expose/interest your kids in coffee?
You simply need to make coffee a forbidden thing, and then let nature take its course.

kaffidrikker (original poster)

#5: Post by kaffidrikker (original poster) replying to timo888 »

LOL! :) Too true!

I guess decaf cappas/lattes wouldn't be too far (at least in a child's mind) from a hot chocholate...
LMWDP #225

karmacafe

#6: Post by karmacafe »

timo888 wrote:You simply need to make coffee a forbidden thing, and then let nature take its course.
Very funny.

Marshall

#7: Post by Marshall »

kaffidrikker wrote:Thought that this was really neat, but might be pushing it a little too far: :D http://www.amazon.com/Pretend-Gaggia-Wo ... 629&sr=8-3
That's priceless! "Too far" :?:
Marshall
Los Angeles

Beezer

#8: Post by Beezer »

Someone posted a picture in here a while back of a Synesso that he built for his son out of wood.
It's near the bottom of this page.

Why not Synesso?
Lock and load!

Espin

#9: Post by Espin »

SlowRain wrote:or else build a stand like this guy did:
Wow. I had no idea my video was so popular. :)

That's actually a stock part at many science supply houses.

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm/terms/6862

No pecuniary interest in link, but it is where I bought that one.

pdx

#10: Post by pdx »

Beezer wrote:Someone posted a picture in here a while back of a Synesso that he built for his son out of wood. Why not Synesso?
That was me. The boy is old enough now (almost 3) that he stands on his stool to "help" me pull shots on the big Synesso. Basically he operates the paddle & watches the pour. He also has an old tamper with an old pf & basket he plays with. This was a bad idea; I now have 58mm dents in my kitchen trim.
Ben King.