Cleaning plastic parts safely?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Red West

#1: Post by Red West »

I'm starting to clean up a very dirty (mainly coffee oils) used machine.
I'm soaking the group head, portafilter, screen, screws, ect in a Joe Glo solution.

What about the plastic parts? I've soaked them in soap and water, but seem to need something a little stronger. Most of the plastic is black and I don't want to risk it coming out with a dull grey look. Any suggestions?

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

McGuires and other companies make automotive plastic cleaners. Motorcycle dealers and auto parts stores carry similar products. I would think that anything made for clear plastic should be fine.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Heilmittellehre

#3: Post by Heilmittellehre »

I've had good luck with Meguiar's products on my car. Some of the speciality items (like clear plastic cleaner and polish) I had to order directly from them. Good stuff no matter where you buy it.

http://meguiars.com/

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#4: Post by orphanespresso »

Soap & water, bakelite knobs are best polished with Simichrome Metal Polish - it's recommended for any phenolic resins from vintage jewelery to telephones, to espresso machine parts.

Psyd

#5: Post by Psyd »

What;s wrong with Joe-Glo™, Clean-Caff™, Cafiza™, or any number of other coffee-oil-and-grunge-specific cleaners out there? Are those harmful to the plastic parts> Have I been damaging my plastic bits by using the soak from the metal bits to wash them down?
OR am I just getting a bit paranoid now?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175