Can't Decide ACF or NUOVA POINT - Aesthetic Beauty or Function?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
ECM

#1: Post by ECM »

As a self professed coffee geek it seems I have a dilemma on my hands. I am turning to the only group of people I know that can help me with my problem.

I am looking to purchase a set of 6 espresso cups and saucers but can't make up my mind. I am embarrassed to confess that I have spent approximately seven fun filled hours researching everything you would ever want to know about espresso cups.

I have narrowed my choice down to two specific choices:

The first one pictured here in this link is what I believe they refer to as the" classical style" ACF brown 70ml espresso cup:

http://www.laruso.ca/acf-brown-espresso ... -3929.html

This set of 6 ACF with saucers weighs in at 4Lb. A hefty cup to say the least! Let's face it; as far as quality is concerned ACF is one of the best manufacturers out there. I would love to have a set of these in my collection but I am unsure of its styling. Is this cup considered a "pare shape" or would you call a "classical" styled espresso cup? When speaking with the vendor I was told that this cup is considered to be pare shaped. In my opinion it almost has a tulip shape but not really. If I were to purchase an ACF I would prefer it to be a standard or "classically" styled espresso cup. Can someone please verify what style this cup is and explain the differences between the "classical style" verses the "pare shape"?

Then there are these really beautiful Nuova Point "Sorrento Style" cups:

http://www.laruso.ca/sorrento-style-bro ... -1221.html

These also come in a set of 6 with saucers but hold .5oz more fluid then the ACF at 2.5oz. This set of 6 cups and saucers weigh in at a HORRENDOUS 6Lb! That's a whole pound per serving!!! I really love the shape of these cups. There like little bowls with handles. I can almost imagine the sweet aromea of my morning brew just by looking at these. Man are they thick or what! I'm sure an espresso would taste absolutely divine from one of these cups.

So I guess the question I'm struggling to answer is - do I buy the ACF for their aesthetic beauty and world renowned quality thereby remaining true to the pursuit of espresso nirvana, or do I go with the heavier Nuova Point cups with their really cool retro shape and obvious ability for thermal stability? I know... either way I can't go wrong just flip a coin dummy. I've done that already and still find myself flip-flopping.

Honestly, I would love to have both of these cups adorn the top of my Giotto but Santa is on a budget this year so I turn to the experts here to help me sort it out. I would love to hear form both the ACF and Nuova Point fans to help me make up my mind. Even better, if there is anyone that tried both of these cups please give me your feedback. In particular, I'm interested to know how the shape of the vessel affects the flavor profile of the espresso verses the thickness of the cup wall in retaining thermal stability? Do you think the Nuova Point will hold the heat more efficiently then the ACF or is that really the biggest issue at play here? By the way .... the ACF are only $5.00 more then the Nuova Point so money doesn't really enter into the decision making process.

As mentioned, if someone could also set me straight on the various cup shapes I would appreciate it.

Boy I feel really geeky in asking these questions but it would seem I can't help myself.

Thanks,

Rob

spiffdude

#2: Post by spiffdude »

Seems to me you are over thinking this. :shock:

Them's just espresso cups lad! You will end up buying both eventually as we all collect different cups with different excuses (but dear i have this very rare SO bean that neeeeeds a red cup to taste best).

I have ACF cups and love them. They are well made, stand up to abuse and retain enough heat. The ones you point to are the "tulip" shapes ones. That's what we call them up here anyway. ACF makes a espresso cups in both shapes actually, tulip and bowl.

I have a bunch of other cups too and i've never detected a different in taste per say. To me, it's just that each cup provides a different sensory experience (weight, grip, stability in saucer, etc). I like thick chunky cups. But that's just me.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

jwolley

#3: Post by jwolley »

I prefer my Nuova Point Sorrento cups to the ACF cups in use at a couple local cafes. They ACF cups are fine, but I can tell the NP's are slightly heavier/thicker. I don't think it makes any real difference, but it's noticable. The Sorrentos are actually my favorite demitasse right now, edging out my Inkers (which are even heavier). Note that the ACF cups in my local cafes are the "Macchiato" style, not the "Tulips" you linked to (I'm referencing this page for the names).

You can't go wrong with either, but if I was making the decision for you I would buy the Nuova Point cups. Actually, I would buy 1 each of a half dozen different cups and saucers, but that's not really what you asked for.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

If you have to worry about the thermal stability of your cappa or espresso cups, you are drinking too slow. In the end, get what catches your eye and holds the appropriate amount of liquid. Or you could simply get both.
Dave Stephens

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#5: Post by orphanespresso »

Having handled a LOT of espresso cups (2,245 kilograms in the past 2 days actually)....

For starters, keep in mind that for reasons of economy and perhaps market preference it seems that in North America the styles have gravitated to 2: the classic bowl and the classic tulip shape. How did these come to be described as "classic"? I suppose that they just seem classic since someone saw or used them in Italian caffe bars but it also seems that since these are about the only two styles available they got promoted as "classic". Each of these companies produces a full line of table and barware not usually seen by North American consumers...plates, platters, cups of all kinds, and utilitarian items as well (think toilets). This is commercial grade porcelain and in Europe the cost is pretty much on par with what we would see here your average diner , since there is not the shipping penalty incurred here when shipping very heavy items a very long distance. The cups are made to be tossed in a buss tub and washed in a super hot dishwasher and stand up to a lot of abuse and are not thought to be premium china but utilitarian barware.

But to the point...keep in mind that the weights you mention are shipped weights and that ACF ships in shrink wrap plastic while Nuova Point ships in cardboard boxes therefore adding weight in the weight per 6 cups and saucers. It is the stated weight of the cup itself that may or may not make a difference to you in selecting cups. AS far as shape, I would not want to get into an argument about wine glass shape with an oenophile, but I think that there are arguments to be made about desired vessel shapes for various beverages....I do think that espresso does have a "nose" after all and certain shapes can accentuate this aspect of the beverage.

Cup shape color and size is very much a personal preference. From a personal narrative standpoint, during the winter my hands get very dry and my fingertips tend to crack from dryness and exposure to wet and dry in my work and about the only cup that I can comfortably hold by the handle from about December to April is the Inker Tina with its pierced tab handle since the loop handles of the ACF and NP both agrivate my fingers...is this too much information?

And finally, as a cautionary note, there are some NP cups that are made in China...ask your vendor to verify origin, as the China cups have a very nice glaze but wander a bit from the original Italian manufacture design. If you insist on Italian or it matters to you this may be a point of inquiry...but as the China cups have a NP logo on the bottom you may be just as happy with them as the Italian ones. And oh yes, the main thing about cups is the source of the clay used in making them, which is another story altogether.

Barb and Doug, keyboarded by Doug since Barb is too exhausted form packing cups to type.

CSME9

#6: Post by CSME9 »

I have had both types of cups. They are both solid and thick, the acf cup is a bit to low/squatty and felt a bit unbalanced for me. I prefer a 2-2.5oz oz tulip style cup with a slightly larger handle opening than the ACF and NP with a handle opening similar to the old crema ware line or some of the Inker cups.

WS

Philg
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Philg »

Hello,

Not meaning to add to the difficulty but you might take a look at the cups on the Orphan Espresso page, I just ordered a few and wish I could have ordered more. I only have espresso cups so I don't know at all about bigger ones, but they have a wipe assortment and you can buy one at a time.

I don't know anything about the "quality" of one cup versus another, but I like the cups I got.

I have 3 NP espresso cups - the two bowl shaped ones are quite different, one is wider and thinner (still thick though, the other is very thick) One, I just noticed (had it for years) has the handle on crooked!

Good luck!
Phil

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

orphanespresso wrote: And finally, as a cautionary note, there are some NP cups that are made in China...ask your vendor to verify origin, as the China cups have a very nice glaze but wander a bit from the original Italian manufacture design. If you insist on Italian or it matters to you this may be a point of inquiry...but as the China cups have a NP logo on the bottom you may be just as happy with them as the Italian ones. And oh yes, the main thing about cups is the source of the clay used in making them, which is another story altogether.
For quality, insist on the Italian manufacture. The NP cups made in China can also have very thin handles that look nice but don't hold up to wear. The NP tulip cups made in Italy, though, with handles that appear thin, are very rugged over many months now.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ECM (original poster)

#9: Post by ECM (original poster) »

Wow!!

Thanks guys for all your thoughtful feedback. I appreciate all your comments. The whole China thing I'm aware of and intend on making inquires. I know I'm over thinking this whole process but I so enjoy the tactile aspect of the espresso experience I guess I'm trying to extend that enjoyment to the vessel that holds my special brew.

I'm this way with all my espresso purchases. I spend a lot of time shopping around and asking questions. In this case I think enough is enough ..... I'm going to get the NP cups.

Thanks again guys,

Rob

spiffdude

#10: Post by spiffdude »

Enjoy! Post your impressions when you get them
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!