Canadian sources for popular coffees from US roasters

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Bob_McBob

#1: Post by Bob_McBob »

I recently had the chance to sample coffees from some well-known US roasters at the September tasting event at Social Coffee Company in Richmond Hill, Ontario. There are some that I'd be particularly interested in trying again, like Counter Culture's Apollo. Unfortunately, as it stands right now, it's not financially feasible for a Canadian individual to import roasted coffee and have any chance of it arriving fresh.

Some Canadian cafes and businesses import coffee in large quantities, both to use and to sell. I'm interested in compiling a list of these Canadian sources for beans from popular US roasters. I'll started the ball rolling:

Toronto:

Manic Coffee carries Intelligentsia's Black Cat Espresso. They receive their weekly order -- roasted on Monday -- on either Wednesday or Thursday. I was told they are able to special order other coffees from Intelligentsia with the rest of the shipment. The price for Black Cat was $17.50/lb last time I checked.

Lit Espresso Bar exclusively serves and sells coffees from Stumptown.

Communal Mule serves and sells coffees from Counter Culture.

Mercury Espresso Bar typically has Intelligentsia Black Cat and Terroir/GHH.

Crema Coffee Co. at the Junction location sometimes carries Terroir/GHH.

Grinder usually carries Intelligentsia Black Cat.

Holy Oak Cafe by Bloor & Landsdowne carries Black Cat and a couple other Intelligentsia blends by the half-pound. Their espresso is hit-or-miss, but when it's good, it's amazing. Better than I've gotten from Manic any time in recent memory.

Lost & Found: Clothing Store & Espresso Bar carries the Metropolis selection of coffees.

Ottawa:

Café Délice carries Intelligentsia Black Cat.

Montréal:

Cafe Myriade serves and sells coffees from Ritual Roasters, and occasionally others like Intelligentsia and Rawster. They also list Café Grumpy coffees as "coming soon".

Caffè in Gamba stocks Intelligentsia, Vermont Artisan, Kickapoo, Counter Culture, PT's and Klatch. Quantities are usually limited and vary according to availability, but the coffee is reasonably fresh (rarely over 10 days from roast date).

Café Névé carries Metropolis coffees.

Flocon Espresso serves Stumptown (~$15/12oz) and Metropolis.

Caffè Art Java sells Gimme! Leftist Espresso.

Québec City:

Le Nektar sells PT's, Terroir, and Intelligentsia.

Vancouver:

Elysian Coffee (5th & Burrard) carries Black Cat, decaf Black Cat, and a few in season Intelligentsia coffees. They get in Monday roasts by Thursday or Friday, sometimes Wednesday.

Winnipeg:

Zcafe also sells Black Cat, and Black Cat Organic, though the price is not very good, and the freshness may be questionable after both rounds of shipping.
Chris

coffeestork

#2: Post by coffeestork »

Great idea for a thread Chris. Off the top of my head:

Mercury in Toronto typically has Intelli Black Cat and is starting to now carry Terroir/GHH.
Crema at the Junction location in Toronto sometimes carries Terroir/GHH (in addition to 49th).
Grinder in Toronto usually carries Intelli Black Cat.

Cafe Delices in Ottawa I've heard carries Black Cat.

Caffe in Gamba in Montreal I've heard carries quite a selection too including Klatch and PT's.
Cafe Neve in Montreal carries Metroplois from what I've heard.

Advertisement
stevescapin

#3: Post by stevescapin »

Caffe in Gamba also stocks Intelligentsia, Vermont Artisan, Counter Culture in addition to PT and Klatch. Quantities are usually limited and vary according to availability, but the coffee is reasonably fresh (rarely over 10 days from roast date).

Cafe Neve does indeed carry Metropolis.

Gimme is available at Caffè Art Java.

nixter

#4: Post by nixter »

49th Parallel is a fantastic, world class roaster from Vancouver. I'm sure you could find it there fresh or possibly order it from their website.

Marc

#5: Post by Marc »

Just to add some other coffee you can find in Mtl:

Gamba holds: Intelligentsia, 49th, Kickapoo, Metropolis, Counter Culture, Klatch, vermont artisan
Myriade: 49th, Ritual, sometimes others like Intelligentsia, Rawster.

Bob_McBob (original poster)

#6: Post by Bob_McBob (original poster) »

I got some Black Cat from Manic on Friday, but unfortunately they apparently only had Honey Badger for a couple of weeks back in January. They also have decaf Black Cat and one or two regular coffees I don't remember.
Chris

adelemac

#7: Post by adelemac »

I get my Intelligentsia from the Elysian Room in Vancouver (5th & Burrard). The Monday roasts are usually in by Thursday or Friday, sometimes Wednesday.

They carry Black Cat, and decaf Black Cat + a few in season coffees.

Advertisement
harleyb

#8: Post by harleyb »

Holy Oak Cafe by Bloor and Landsdowne in Toronto carries Black Cat and a couple other Intelligentsia blends by the half-pound. Their espresso is hit-or-miss, but when it's good, it's amazing. Better than I've gotten from Manic any time in recent memory.

kafeolic

#9: Post by kafeolic »

Le Nektar in Quebec city sells PT's and Terroir. It also has 49th Parallel and Social Coffee from this side of the border. :D

innermusic

#10: Post by innermusic »

Anyone in Toronto selling Redbird?
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario