Cafelet Tamping Stand

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
ash4889

#1: Post by ash4889 »

I purchased this on ebay recentIy, it got delivered to my home today. Let me know am I being too picky but it looked all scratched up, I really don't want to pay $45 for a stand that is used. I purchased it from a reputable seller who only sells espresso parts

SonVolt

#2: Post by SonVolt »

Did it come in the original box? Mine did. Also Ebay is the last place I would expect to buy something new.

ash4889 (original poster)

#3: Post by ash4889 (original poster) replying to SonVolt »

I got it in the original new looking box from Spagscoffee.com, did anyone else order one of these Tamping stands that looks like mine?

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

The soft lighting from above doesn't let any scratches show up well. The rubber on the Cafelat stand isn't finished to a flawless surface, but it does the job well. I've had mine for many years and it will quickly pick up scratches and scuffs with any use.

Either way, if you're not happy with your purchase, you can always contact the vendor.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

ash4889 (original poster)

#5: Post by ash4889 (original poster) »

I'm like a kid with a new toy with this new espresso machine, didn't want to pay for something and it was all scratched up.
Anyway I contacted the vendor tonight to have him exchange it for one without scratches all over.

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC replying to ash4889 »

I know the bottom side of mine looked exactly like yours when it arrived, if that's any condolence. The casting marks are somewhat evident on pretty much any rubber stand I've seen.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

tohenk2

#7: Post by tohenk2 »

ash4889 wrote:I purchased this on ebay recentIy, it got delivered to my home today. Let me know am I being too picky but it looked all scratched up, I really don't want to pay $45 for a stand that is used. I purchased it from a reputable seller who only sells espresso parts
I bought mine in a shop. The bottom was pretty much the same (but hey, I wasn't going to look at that). The black has a kind of suede-like texture (not mirror smooth like the silicone seals) and you have to use a non-pilching towel to wipe/dry the stand. Mine was not scratched, but if you apply enough pressure with a naked filter the top soon will be dented.

Might just be scratches from rubbing against the box while being thrown etc. during transport? The black is soft (I think it is so to not dent the portafilter).

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

ash4889 wrote: Let me know am I being too picky...
Yes, I think that's the case. :lol: Seriously, based on your photos, it looks no different than mine. It may be that your eBay seller was offering old stock; the newer Cafelat stand I bought is rubber wrapped around thick black plastic base instead of stainless steel of the original.
Dan Kehn

nickw

#9: Post by nickw »

ash4889 wrote:Let me know am I being too picky but it looked all scratched up
From the pics you posted it looks brand new. Brand new doesn't mean flawless. Some marks from manufacturing and transport are normal. It will get some patina with normal use anyways. Personally, I'd be happy with it. :)

For what it's worth:
My brand new Slayer had the odd light scratch in the stainless, and on the chrome portafilter (from the manufacturer of that), and marks in the X's powdercoat. My brand new Londinium had marks in the group (in the brass under the chrome), and scratches in the stainless water cover (under the wrap, from the stainless manufacturer). So even brand new high end equipment wont be perfect. Within a month of use, it all looks pretty normal, and is part of patina. Anyone looking at my kit would comment it's in excellent shape.

Paul_Pratt

#10: Post by Paul_Pratt »

We build and pack each and every one so know what goes in each box and any imperfections do not go in. It is hard to see from the photos but they look like handling marks on rubber, not scratches. The white brown flecks are the packaging fluff I think. It is a durable industrial NBR rubber we use not silicone, as silicone does not hold up well on that stand.

I know exactly what you mean regarding the condition on first impressions. I wasted an entire day yesterday finishing 20 pcs of La Pavoni portafilter bodies only to discover I accidently made faint chuck jaw indentations on the inside that were visible at certain angles. My colleagues thought I was mad to send them for recycling but it's a $100 part so not for sale.

The rubber can be cleaned and shined up and with a silicone grease or vaseline.

Hope you get it resolved, either way send us an email cafelat@cafelat.com if you are not happy.

Paul