Bodum espresso glasses are awesome (& espresso size question)

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
aab1

#1: Post by aab1 »

I always liked Bodum double wall insulated glasses and got these shortly after getting my espresso machine, I also have some larger 13 oz ones for coffee/tea.

They are 3oz filled nearly to the rim or 2 oz when filled as in the picture.

This brings me to the question, what is a normal espresso size? One ounce would seem really tiny, so is a 2 oz espresso the standard serving size? And a 2oz espresso is called a double correct?

Thanks

keepitsimple

#2: Post by keepitsimple »

Hi.

The Italian standard for espresso is 30ml (about one ounce) for a single, and 60ml (2 oz) for a "doppio".

I agree with you about the bodum double walled glasses. I have some of the larger ones which are also very good for iced drinks on warm humid days.

Keeps the drink cold, but as a bonus also stops the outside of the glass sweating and you ending up with it sitting in a pool of water.

aab1 (original poster)

#3: Post by aab1 (original poster) »

So what is the standard/default espresso size? 1oz seems awfully small.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Rob's answer is correct per the definition from the Italian Espresso National Institute:
  • Necessary portion of ground coffee 7 g ± 0,5
  • Exit temperature of water from the unit 88°C ± 2°C
  • Temperature of the drink in the cup 67°C ± 3°C
  • Entry water pressure 9 bar ± 1
  • Percolation time 25 seconds ± 2,5 seconds
  • Viscosity at 45°C > 1,5 mPa s
  • Total fat > 2 mg/ml
  • Caffeine < 100 mg/cup
  • Millilitres in the cup (including foam) 25 ml ± 2,5
Most baristas I know pull doubles, although there are single espresso aficionados who cite better flavor profile and/or less caffeine as the reasons for their preference.
Dan Kehn

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

The Bodum's are nice, but I found them to keep the drink too hot. You could let it sit for several minutes and it would still burn your mouth. I use my good old heavy walled cups for espresso. My Bodum's get a different beverage added to them.
Dave Stephens

benm5678

#6: Post by benm5678 »

I agree about it keeping it too hot... i much prefer the shots poured into my illy cups.

keepitsimple

#7: Post by keepitsimple »

aab1 wrote:So what is the standard/default espresso size? 1oz seems awfully small.
Standard and default aren't the same thing.

A standard espresso is 30ml/1 oz as in my earlier post.

In Italy, this is what you will get by default if you just ask for a caffe and is what many people prefer.

North America ? a standard single is still 30ml, but you'll most probably get a double by default - 60ml/2oz.

In this country ? in a good cafe they will ask you which you want as both will be posted on the price list.

Marshall

#8: Post by Marshall »

The standard in "third wave" type shops I visit seems to be 1/2 to 1 ounce for a double. I usually pour my own around 1 to 1-1/2 ounces.
Marshall
Los Angeles

JmanEspresso

#9: Post by JmanEspresso »

Agree with Marshall, my shots from a double basket at in the 1 to 1.5oz range.