Bleu Cheese and Espresso

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
dominico
Team HB

#1: Post by dominico »

A local cafe near me is toying around with bleu cheese and espresso (blends and SOs) as a menu option. I got the pleasure of getting a sneak peek (well, taste rather). Two things I never thought of trying together, but wow, that was a fantastically fun flavor experience that I'm looking forward to trying again, just gotta go buy me some bleu cheese.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Oh, man. Don't go there and that is from a guy who has two different blue cheeses in the fridge at any time.

Love blue cheese, love coffees. But together, no way. That is just out on the edge of the envelope-city. I will accept that you enjoy it but continue on my non-indulging, ignorant ways <wide grin>.
-----
LMWDP #339

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

A decent mature and strong enough cheese (bergkase, comte, appenzeller, old gouda) some nice honey to dip it in (chestnut does well) and in with it into a bit of coffee grounds 8)

It's a similar out of the comfort zone combination as good vanilla ice with grassy olive oil and some sea salt flakes.
LMWDP #483

Trimethylpurine

#4: Post by Trimethylpurine »

Local bar here in China has a drink called Russian Coke. I have been to a few bars around the world, never seen this anywhere else.

Slice of lemon. Across the slice of lemon are two thinish stripes, one of white sugar (I guess the coke part) and another of fresh ground coffee (the feeling of the coke?)

Fold the lemon slice in half, sugar and coffee on the inside, bite the flesh out of the slice, leaving just the circle of rind. Chew.

Then take a shot of vodka (the Russian part).

Very very tasty.

Serve with tissues.

h
LMWDP #520 Trimethylpurine

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Years ago, a barista here in California described a very similar drink that was favored among baristas, I've forgotten the details. I never tried it, not too many coffee places here (if any) would have a license to serve hard liquor so it would be an outside-work kind of thing.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dominico (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by dominico (original poster) »

To be a little clearer, the bleu cheese is served on a small plate and you take a bite and then sip your espresso. I wouldn't suggest mixing it in like sugar or anything like that.

The cafe in question has a liquor license too, they have a "corretto" selection on the menu as well.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

dominico wrote:To be a little clearer, the bleu cheese is served on a small plate and you take a bite and then sip your espresso. I wouldn't suggest mixing it in like sugar or anything like that.

I've done this many times before. The results are extremely impressive. It amplifies a sweetness sensation with the espresso. I do it with a small accompaniment of Gheridelli 72% dark chocolate usually. The blue cheese is usually Pointe Rayes.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Boldjava wrote:Oh, man. Don't go there and that is from a guy who has two different blue cheeses in the fridge at any time.

Love blue cheese, love coffees. But together, no way. That is just out on the edge of the envelope-city. I will accept that you enjoy it but continue on my non-indulging, ignorant ways <wide grin>.
TomC wrote:I've done this many times before. The results are extremely impressive. It amplifies a sweetness sensation with the espresso. I do it with a small accompaniment of Gheridelli 72% dark chocolate usually. The blue cheese is usually Pointe Rayes.
Dave, I think it's safe to say that Tom agrees with me that you need to try this with a nice California blue cheese. I thought I proved this to you last time I was out your way. :wink:
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

I'm fairly sensitive to bad bleu cheese. Any recommendations that I could get at whole foods or locally in Chicago? :oops:

point rayes looks a little hard to find around here but i'll keep my eyes peeled.

doubleOsoul

#10: Post by doubleOsoul »

Okay, y'all have talked me into trying Bleu and espresso. LOL