Best way to find commercial espresso machine repair work.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

I find myself having to explore a new career after 30 years repairing photo gear. Have spent the last three years buying and refurbishing a wide variety of machines, from a LP Pro to a Brasilia single group commercial auto.

During that time I have come across many people bemoaning the lack of repair techs out there. It just so happens I have to move, so wondering what the best strategy is to hook up with someone looking for a tech.

Any insight appreciated.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

nickw

#2: Post by nickw »

I'd check the local popular classifieds where you live. Craigslist, Kijiji, etc...
If it's popular and people are selling their machines there, they may also be looking for service.

Case in point:
I often see many prosumer machines listed for cheap, or in need of repair. I just missed a ECM e61 for $40 on CL yesterday (looked about 10ears old). Based on the ad, it probably just needing some heavy duty regular servicing. Seals, descale and a solid backflush. And perhaps a new OPV and pump why you are in there. I'm sure they would of happily paid a few hundred dollars for this, along with a nice cleaning and check up.

So you can either fix it for people. Or buy it, fix it yourself and turn it around.

Advertisement
boost

#3: Post by boost »

Counter culture has a few openings for coffee tech
https://counterculturecoffee.com/contact/careers

frank828

#4: Post by frank828 »

i guess depending on where you end up...i'd probably go door to door and also email the owners/managers of all the coffee shops in the area that you want to service.

drop off cards, flyers, etc. develop a relationship. when they have an issue, there's a good chance they'd give you a call.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

I believe that some coffee roasters may also provide all of the gear to restaurants and service it too. I'm thinking of Mr. Espresso in Oakland. I'm not sure if that equipment is leased. You could contact them and ask about how someone gets into that work. I don't know if large coffee shop chains have their own technicians. I know that some of our preferred espresso machine vendors also sell to businesses. 1st-Line Equipment comes to mind.

Companies that provide commercial machines to food service businesses would have technicians who are factory trained and certified to service the machines and brands they provide. Some of this work might be done on site, on an urgent basis if a machine breaks down, and on a routine basis for servicing. There might be a lot of on-call work. Someone who has worked that job is Stefano Cremonesi at Stefano's Espressocare. You might ask him about it.

You could also advertise yourself as an independent to service out-of-warranty gear both home and commercial, as you've already been doing.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Alan Frew

#6: Post by Alan Frew »

I can't speak to conditions as they apply to USA markets, but locally espresso machine repair technicians are a bit like plumbers or electricians.

1) They do house calls
2) They know where to get all sorts of weird parts
3) They charge like wounded bulls.

My tech operates on "word of mouth" only, he's got more work than he wants and he charges me only $120.00 per hour because he's known me for 30 years. He does both out-of-warranty or changed-coffee-supplier commercial machines and older domestic ones like Rancilio, Imat/Nemox/Lelit, Faema and Krups.

He's been successful because he limits his expertise outside domestic machines to major Italian commercial brands, and won't touch "exotics" like Azkoyen, Unic or Klub, or modern specials like LM, Synesso or KVdW. Based on conversations we've had, you'll need some sort of electrical appliance repair certification and good Public Liability insurance to cover the legal aspects.

Alan

cuppajoe (original poster)

#7: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Thanks for all the feedback folks, all grist for the mill. Unfortunately I'm a bit long in the tooth for corporate, unless a small outfit. I would be more inclined for a contract type arrangement and would have no problem doing on site calls. I've gotten pretty good at sourcing parts and supplies, as well as fabbing unobtainium bits. After being run through the camera authorized service meat grinder I wouldn't mind working for an authorized shop, but not becoming certified myself. Unless it is a lot easier and less expensive. To get authorized for Canon would run about $35k a year, plus you are on the hook for any test equipment, 'specialized' tools, and parts they require. Nikon, about triple that.

Good tip on Mr Espresso Gary. I'll be in the East Bay for three days scoping out housing, so may drop in and test the waters. Was also thinking of picking up some greens at Sweet Maria's, maybe I'll chat them up as well.

At this time where I end up will depend on what I find first, place to live or a gig. The clock is ticking...
David - LMWDP 448

Advertisement
Alan Frew

#8: Post by Alan Frew »

As I understand it the electrical appliance repair certification isn't brand specific, and comes from a short, cheap tech school course. It's mostly to ensure that repaired machines aren't going to electrocute someone by giving a basic understanding of wiring and electricity. My tech says that as soon as his bill is paid he's liable for the quality and safety of the repair. That's also the reason for the public liability insurance.

You wouldn't need factory certifications unless you were doing warranty repairs, as you say those would involve someone's shop. In Melbourne, Australia the sheer density of commercial machines in cafes, restaurants, pubs and clubs means that there is always more work waiting than there are technicians to do it. Note that a LOT of repairs have to be done on the fly, in situ, under less than ideal conditions. Many moons ago there was a tech who posted to alt.coffee by the name of Al Critzer, it would be worthwhile looking up some of his posts. Try authorname:ACKC3380 .

Alan

cuppajoe (original poster)

#9: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Thanks for more good info Alan, much appreciated. I'll see if there's a general appliance repair certification program over here.

I was self employed for 30 years working on a flat rate contract basis and would prefer that to an employee situation. Doing field service would be expected and not be a problem. Will try contacting Mr Critzer after the holidays. Might take a bit of hunting to flush him out anyway.

Like you said, everyone seems to be complaining about a shortage of techs, but I've had no luck thus far.
David - LMWDP 448

Marcelnl

#10: Post by Marcelnl »

Not sure if this will work but why not put in an ad in something like craigslist etc in several areas you would like to live and see what the response rate is, just to check feasabiity.
LMWDP #483