The best time of day to get the most out of the caffeine from your coffee

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
IntrepidQ3

#1: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

I found this article kinda interesting, as a double shot in the morning type of person myself and also I am interested in physiology.
http://www.fastcodesign.com/3020940/asi ... ink-coffee

In short, it states, there are windows of time during our day to intake our favorite caffeinated beverage to allow for the caffeine work to best for us, i.e. increase our awareness. The best time window, on average, in the morning, is between 9:30 am -11:30 am. This is due to the bodies circadian production rhythm of cortisol. For those who are not familiar, it is also known as the 'stress hormone'. Cortisol is also highly involved in heightening our awareness/ waking us up. On average, between 8 am - 9am our cortisol levels are naturally rising and will peak during this time frame. So essentially, taking in caffeine during this time causes you to elevate a natural peak of awareness, thus creating a more dramatic 'crash' in the follow couple hours.

Maybe this is why I crave some more coffee a couple hours later in the day? Or maybe my taste buds really enjoy that second cup coffee?
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

espressojr
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by espressojr »

interesting... when i lived in the netherlands people would drink tea in the morning with breakfast and then have their coffee break at 10:30. I liked that routine although now I have one cup when i wake and then one again at 10:30, keeping the second part of that tradition alive.

Nomadic_Lemon

#3: Post by Nomadic_Lemon »

I read a similar article here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/executi ... 6754794179

It says pretty much the same thing. Both articles seem to assume that the only reason you're drinking coffee is to get a caffeine hit. I drink coffee because I enjoy drinking it - the taste/flavour/overall experience. The caffeine hit is only a part of the overall experience, often it's more of a side effect than the reason for coffee consumption, so really the best time to drink coffee is whenever you feel like it (depending on your reason for consumption of course) rather than restricting yourself to the optimum time for a caffeine boost!

FireBurnDread

#4: Post by FireBurnDread »

Thought through the problem of the lull in senses over and over and the final solution came through candy.

To be specific, dark chocolate coated espresso beans.

I just pop a few when I get the muchies / caffeine cravings at work. Plus the calories help to sustain me in case there isn't time for lunch. Personally think its a great solution for any espresso lover trying to get the most outta caffeine. Additional points for doing home-made candy beans with freshly SO roasted coffee, quality chocolate, and a candy mould.

I do encourage occasionally going through a period of detox though or the reliance on caffeine is gonna get progressively higher in order to sustain any level of mental activity. If I'm not wrong the body resets itself to caffeine in about a week so it shouldn't be much of a fuss

espressotime

#5: Post by espressotime »

I' m dutch and most people that I know drink coffee in the morning .
Where I'm from people call tea " merelzeik".
Translated into english you could call it piss of a bird. :mrgreen:
I have my first cappu at 6 o'clock when I get out of bed.
Not for the cafeine since that has no effect on me anymore after 45 years of coffee addiction.

SpromoSapiens

#6: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Interesting stuff. I don't think adequate consideration is given to what constitutes "normal" or "average" sleep patterns, particularly since one of authors opens with a remark about his trouble sleeping. Do most people get "enough" sleep, every night?

I tend to stay up a wee bit later than I should, then I get up at least once most nights to soothe the baby, then get up again anytime around 6am whenever the baby wakes. In short, my sleep pattern is f@#%ed. I do find that if I can manage to make coffee within the first half hour of leaving my bed in the morning, it barely does anything more than give me the will to live through that morning. But if I'm indisposed for an hour or more before I get to making coffee, that first coffee has a much more pronounced effect.

I have a morning regimen of 3 double espressos, spread over the course of about 1.5 hours on average. If I have all 3 within 30 or 40 min, I get a significant boost and feel ready to tackle the world. Otherwise I feel basically normal. Then by afternoon, I'm ready for 1 more coffee, and I really need that coffee or else it's siesta time. The strange thing is, after my morning 3, I can have 1 or 2 more and they don't make a difference. After my afternoon 1, I could have another, and again, no difference. I know this because when I travel, I go into espresso tourism mode, and try to hit as many of the best shops as I can. Visiting my brother in Portland OR, I basically spend 2 days espresso bar-hopping all morning and afternoon. The high settles down into a plateau, and then I'm just enjoying the 'spro for the 'spro's sake.