Best-quality strong espresso?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
kfedukowski

#1: Post by kfedukowski »

Hi all!

I am new to the forum. My name is Katrina - please call me Kat. I am an espresso lover, though a novice in the ways of espresso by many of the standards that I see on this forum. I am searching for alternatives to my current espressos - Starbucks and Dunkin's - which I know in advance that many of you will consider lower quality espressos, and I am inclined to agree. I am ready to expand my tastes and knowledge. I would really like to kick my Dunkin's habit with some good quality, strong espresso. Can anyone recommend anything just as strong if not stronger with a deep, bold taste? If you craft your own espresso beans and they're pretty strong I may be interested in buying from you as well, depending on the price. I drink espresso all day, I love it that much. I'm pretty brand-loyal so if I find something I like, I'll drink it all the time.

All The Best,

Kat

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Welcome to the forum!

As a general rule, "strength" isn't a feature of a coffee, but rather of how it is brewed. If you make a very dense, concentrated shot, it will have a more intense taste than one that is more dilute, regardless of what coffee you are starting with. "Boldness" seems to be mere marketing fluff; I have no idea what it is even supposed to mean.

If you want some of our standard recommendations of good coffees to learn to pull shots with, here are a few threads on the subject:

Good beginner espresso blend for bulk purchase?

Good coffee to learn with

List of our Favorite Roasters
LMWDP #435

Advertisement
canuckcoffeeguy

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

kfedukowski wrote:Hi all!

I am new to the forum. My name is Katrina - please call me Kat. I am an espresso lover, though a novice in the ways of espresso by many of the standards that I see on this forum. I am searching for alternatives to my current espressos - Starbucks and Dunkin's - which I know in advance that many of you will consider lower quality espressos, and I am inclined to agree. I am ready to expand my tastes and knowledge. I would really like to kick my Dunkin's habit with some good quality, strong espresso. Can anyone recommend anything just as strong if not stronger with a deep, bold taste? If you craft your own espresso beans and they're pretty strong I may be interested in buying from you as well, depending on the price. I drink espresso all day, I love it that much. I'm pretty brand-loyal so if I find something I like, I'll drink it all the time.

All The Best,

Kat
Hi Kat,

Can you let us know what equipment you're using? What machine do you have to make your espresso? Do you have an espresso grinder? etc.

Cheers

RioCruz

#4: Post by RioCruz »

Hi Kat...and welcome to the HB forum!

I would recommend that you connect with some of the HBers in the Boston Area and pay them a visit. You will save lots of time and frustration with an HB "mentor" and I think it will be a much more interesting trip for both of you.

Any Boston HBers out there interested in coffee mentoring?
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

Strictly Amateur

#5: Post by Strictly Amateur »

Kat,

I would really like to kick my Dunkin's habit

If You wish to kick Dunk's, considering what's in Dunk's ingredients in their products may help 'cause it's probably bad juju to begin with.

Start with partially hydrogenated anything, corn syrup and go from there. Get those substances out of Your house and out of Your life and Your quality of life will improve. -And keep You away from Dunk's door or any other like it. Then You protect Yourself from bad coffee and bad food at the same time.

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

Processed almost anything is...yuck..
My initial thought was that she was just looking for a place to buy better take away espresso, if she's buying beans or espresso at Dunkin doing better will be easy ;-)
LMWDP #483

pacificmanitou

#7: Post by pacificmanitou »

Check the HB sponsors out. Any of those are a good place to start. I also suggest you get in touch with one of our members that's local to you, they can suggest places to go and locally available coffees worth drinking.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
day

#8: Post by day »

I think we missed the first learning experience.

I am unfamiliar with dd making espresso, nor is such espresso likely to be drunk all day. However pots of drip made with beans labeled espresso seems very likely and would fit a newcomer to coffee. Everyone has to learn, i made the same error at first of that is in fact what you meant.

Do you drink cups of coffee or have an actual espresso machine?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Nate42

#9: Post by Nate42 »

As someone who's wife insists on going there, I can testify that Duncan does serve a thing they call espresso, typically as a "turbo shot" added to regular coffee. I have no idea how they produce this though, I doubt it resembles anything we would call espresso around here.

The OP is in the Boston area, check out George Howell's cafe in Newton to see what good coffee is all about.

canuckcoffeeguy

#10: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Kat are you still there? We haven't heard from you in a while. We can help! Hope we didn't scare you off. We don't bite. :D