Best Cup Shape / Size for Lattes

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
roblumba

#1: Post by roblumba »

For Latte size, what's your best cup and why? And please consider that it's being served to friends, etc that are not the hard core espresso drinkers. They might want a little vanilla syrup and whip cream on top.

I think a cup should also retain heat and be very sturdy like the ACF cups. And for those that pack in the espresso at 21 grams, those double shots can easily come through a drink of 12 ounce size.

I've considered getting those 10 ounce ACF Latte cups but I keep wondering if perhaps 12 ounce would be better. I look around at different caffe's and some are using 12 ounce and others using 10 ounce. Klatch is selling 14 ounce latte bowls on their online store. Vivace Seattle is selling 12 ounce size latte cups. Barefoot uses the 10 ounce ACF cups at their cafe although I've never actually ordered a latte when I'm there.

I'm leaning towards the 10 ounce ACF cups. But those ACF cups are not cheap and I want to live with it for a while. It's hard to compare considering I currently have 12 ounce coffee mugs. The width of the top is just not the same, so it's hard to duplicate a 10 ounce ACF latte with only 10 ounces in a regular coffee mug, the foam doesn't sit the same on top. So how about you guys? What's your take on the perfect latte cup for entertaining friends, family, making latte art, etc?

roblumba (original poster)

#2: Post by roblumba (original poster) »

Update on Cafe usage. I just noticed that on the web video that Klatch Roasting's website has showing Heather Perry making a Latte, it looks as if they are using the Black 10 ounce ACF Latte Cup. Note that they named this video demonstration "The Perfect Latte". But actually, they mentioned nothing of the cup size or shape. Just milk texturing, temperature.

http://www.klatchroasting.com/

cafeIKE

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

The missus likes these :

Trudeau Bianca Mug 10oz.

They have a rounded bottom, so the espresso accumlates to a reasonable depth enhancing my severely handicapped art capability.

The series also comes in 6 and 3oz sizes, making a nice set for entertaining. Regardless of whether espresso, macchiato, cappuccino or latte is on order, everyone can have a similar cup.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

I don't have any of the larger cups. When I have someone that wants a 12 ounce drink I get out a regular old coffee mug. However, if you get 12 ounce cups, you can always put 10 ounces in them, but you can't put 12 ounces in a 10 ounce cup.
Dave Stephens

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

Well I wouldn't call them durable but I use these Bodum glasses when I make a flavored latte for the wife or company. http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?M ... =4547%2D10

When i make myself a standard latte, which doesn't happen often, I use a normal 10 oz ceramic coffee mug.
LMWDP 267

zin1953

#6: Post by zin1953 »

I use these Bodum 12 oz. glasses, but my theory is any cup that holds heat and doesn't leak is probably OK . . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

roblumba (original poster)

#7: Post by roblumba (original poster) »

One thing I've always hated about those Bodum is that they are so fragile. I used to have a bunch of them but now I just have a couple of those. When you have a bunch of people over for dinner and serve drinks afterwards, there is inevitably dishes piled into the sink and stuff all over the countertops. Definitely not an environment for Bodum glasses, breakage is inevitable for me. But I guess it's the same situation with wine glasses, but we're not really big on wine so we rarely have those out either. Those Bodum are definitely a eye pleaser. People inevitably look at the tiny bubbles floating through the freshly steamed milk. It's almost like watching a glass of freshly poured beer from the tap, but with a head of microfoam milk.