Become a real barista... for 1/3 the pay...

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Unrooted

#1: Post by Unrooted »

I am very unhappy with my current middle management desk job, but it pays well... The local coffee shop is hiring... My wife says I can quit, but....$$$$...

Any success stories out there in home coffee land?

This question is kind of similar to all the "should I buy a cheap grinder now or save up" because I can take the low paying coffee shop job now or keep the current gig and save up for my own shop...

frank828

#2: Post by frank828 »

if the goal is to gain experience and possibly open your own shop not too far down the line, i say go for it.

otherwise, i really dont see being a barista a long term option for most. even being a manager really isnt much of an upgrade, monetarily.

caffeinatedrebel

#3: Post by caffeinatedrebel »

Is that with tips included? At base level being a barista means we make very low wages but tips make it not so sucky.

What type of shop is the one you want to work at and what type of shop do you want to own? Do you know their ethics and how the shop is run?

Unrooted (original poster)

#4: Post by Unrooted (original poster) »

The shop roasts their own beans, so that could be a learning experience as well. I have had a lot of friends who have worked there over the years and it sounds like the owner has quit giving a lot of care towards the final product... Which explains why some of the baristas don't know how to pull a decent shot... I am hoping to learn the business and become a good barista, and possibly start my own shop or roasting co. in the future, but in the short term I just want out of my go-nowhere middle management job, thankfully my wife has benefits...

If I could just "take" 17 more years I could retire at 55...

How much is an enjoyable job in your late 30s & 40s worth???

tohenk2

#5: Post by tohenk2 »

Well - my daughter had a contract stating she could not work for a competitor (as a roaster, barista or any job-form that even remotely has something to do with coffee) or start her own business for 2 years after leaving. Or at least not in a 50km radius. And there was an anti-disclosure clause. So if you plan on opening your own business, you might want to check for something like that before you take a job in someone else's shop.

Unrooted (original poster)

#6: Post by Unrooted (original poster) »

I would be very surprised if this guy is that organized...

OldNuc

#7: Post by OldNuc »

If they have any such agreement it must be presented and agreed to at the time of hiring or it is not worth the paper it is written on.

Marshall

#8: Post by Marshall »

tohenk2 wrote:Well - my daughter had a contract stating she could not work for a competitor (as a roaster, barista or any job-form that even remotely has something to do with coffee) or start her own business for 2 years after leaving. Or at least not in a 50km radius. And there was an anti-disclosure clause. So if you plan on opening your own business, you might want to check for something like that before you take a job in someone else's shop.
Non-compete agreements are generally not enforceable in California for employees, although use of confidential information may be actionable.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Marshall

#9: Post by Marshall »

Unrooted wrote:I am very unhappy with my current middle management desk job, but it pays well... The local coffee shop is hiring... My wife says I can quit, but....$$$$...
This question is kind of similar to all the "should I buy a cheap grinder now or save up" because I can take the low paying coffee shop job now or keep the current gig and save up for my own shop...
You might learn something about managing a small shop by paying attention to how they operate. But you risk picking up bad drink preparation habits. It is always a better idea to start with a shop you admire. But, I appreciate that your options in Bishop will be limited.
Marshall
Los Angeles

OldNuc

#10: Post by OldNuc »

^^^+1 That is also true in most states. Regarding noncompetitive agreements etc.