Article: "Why Espressos in America are not Good?"

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Bob_McBob

#1: Post by Bob_McBob »

Chris

canuckcoffeeguy

#2: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to Bob_McBob »

Particularly this part:

"Machines are old and used hundreds of times per day. The more you use a machine the more its mechanics inside will taste of coffee and produce better quality. Don't buy a brand new machine. It takes years to have the internal cylinders and tubes smell like coffee."

But these criticisms of post-Italian espresso have been raised before. Giorgio Milos complained about American espresso a few years back, only to apologize the following year with a change of heart:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... st/243033/

41fivestar

#3: Post by 41fivestar »

I think "...taste all the aromas of the coffee." was my favorite bit in the article. I also love that he used a picture of Phillip Ma as the example of an American Cafe. He is one of the best baristi in SF, period.

davidjbillo

#4: Post by davidjbillo »

My takeaway, if I want to make "good" espresso:

1. Buy my beans from Amazon
2. Don't tamp the grounds
3. Grind as fine as possible, and use only Cimbali machine
4. Grind, dose, and brew in 30 seconds or less
5. One barista...one machine...forever
6. Use an old machine (see above)...and don't clean it
7. Only fill the cup half way

Did I miss anything?

41fivestar

#5: Post by 41fivestar replying to davidjbillo »

Oh, you forgot to import Italian tap water...

canuckcoffeeguy

#6: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to 41fivestar »

Don't forget... the shot has to be pulled on Italian soil, by an Italian barista draped in the Italian flag, whilst singing the Italian national anthem, and whilst the ghost of Luigi Bezzera is summoned by rubbing a well seasoned Moka pot :D

And all of this must happen faster than you can say robusta 5 times.

That's my takeaway.

SonVolt

#7: Post by SonVolt »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Don't forget... the shot has to be pulled on Italian soil, by an Italian barista draped in the Italian flag, whilst singing the Italian national anthem, and whilst the ghost of Luigi Bezzera is summoned by rubbing a well seasoned Moka pot :D

<image>

That's my takeaway.

...while flailing your hands and arms all about.

keno

#8: Post by keno »

Lmao! This should be in the "craziest thing I seen all day" thread. This guy is absolutely nuts. I was in Italy a few months ago and was really disappointed by the quality of the coffee there. Who cares if it's cheap and fast, so is McDonalds.

He is right that LM machines are hardly used there but the reason is that they don't give you a free machine like the big coffee suppliers which get cafes to sign contracts for a free espresso machine and grinders in exchange for buying their lousy coffee.

MyCchiato

#9: Post by MyCchiato »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Don't forget... the shot has to be pulled on Italian soil, by an Italian barista draped in the Italian flag, whilst singing the Italian national anthem, and whilst the ghost of Luigi Bezzera is summoned by rubbing a well seasoned Moka pot :D

<image>

That's my takeaway.
I believe Sophia Loren is required to baptize it too.

SonVolt

#10: Post by SonVolt »

Interesting about La Marzocco being marketed as a high-end Italian machine that's not well known in Italy. Is that true?