An Apology to James Hoffman

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

In a recent thread about Scott Rao's book on roasting, I posted comments on Jame's participation in the coffee fora that were meant to be politely sharp and sarcastic, but that were instead entirely unfair and angry. I want to apologize for them.

I am angry, not at anyone, but rather at the direction in which the leading edge of specialty coffee is moving. James is at that leading edge, but is no more responsible with how it evolves than the rest of us who are or would like to be there. Moreover, my anger has not helped change that direction, it has misguided me into poorly judged posts that have unnecessarily hurt people without convincing anyone that something is amiss.

Angry rants don't persuade; reason and research persuades. So that is what I will do. We are in the middle of a great improvement in practices at origin, which are bringing us a wider variety of high quality, distinct coffees. But this new variety and quality is, in my opinion, being poorly served by the direction in which roasting and brewing are going. I hope, in the next few months, to show this in a way that anyone with a good grinder and a few cups can confirm for themselves. That "tasting pin" will burst the "reality bubbles" plaguing the current discussions on roasting and brewing far more effectively than getting angry about them.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
galumay

#2: Post by galumay »

It takes a special quality to make a genuine & humble apology - which to all appearances this is.

I didnt see the comments you made Jim, but I will be interested to see the continuation of your line of thinking on roasting and brewing. I have always read your comments with interest, if not always agreement! Your simple and consise explanation of the effect of dose and grind on flavour was invaluable in my learning curve.
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

mathof

#3: Post by mathof replying to galumay »

+1

King Seven

#4: Post by King Seven »

This means a lot, and I'm very grateful to you for the apology. I was probably more hurt with the criticism coming from you, as you've been incredibly generous with me in the past, I've learned a great deal from you and I didn't really want our online relationship to head in the direction it did.

There's great value in disagreement. I'd like you to challenge me, to push all of us in coffee who want to make it better because (above all else) we love it. I hope we can quickly get back to a place where we can engage, go toe to toe on things, but at the same time make sure we treat each other respectfully and with friendliness. This is very much aimed at myself too - I want to do better in how I engage and debate online, because I want to learn more and improve as well as share and contribute.

I'm more than happy to draw a line under all of this and start fresh from there.

Thank you again for writing this.
James

kellzey

#5: Post by kellzey »

Good men on both sides... There is power in being humble, and power in forgiving as well.

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

King Seven wrote: ... I'm more than happy to draw a line under all of this and start fresh from there. James
Thanks for accepting my apology. I'm relieved and happy to get back to coffee.
Jim Schulman

gimpy

#7: Post by gimpy »

Good, all's good.:-) Group Hug :-)

Advertisement
MWJB

#8: Post by MWJB »

kellzey wrote:Good men on both sides... There is power in being humble, and power in forgiving as well.
Nicely put. :)

kwantfm

#9: Post by kwantfm »

... and now I'm really looking forward to the "toe to toe". I sense a great opportunity to learn!
LMWDP #602

the_trystero

#10: Post by the_trystero »

another_jim wrote:Thanks for accepting my apology. I'm relieved and happy to get back to coffee.
Sorry for just another +1, but, hell, yes, I look forward to reading future objective roasting and brewing tips from you two.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon