Anyone try the La Colombe Draft Latte yet?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I'm curious to see where this one lands on the market, if it'll upset the status quo of canned Starbucks beverages (who buys those anyway?) or if it'll stay in a narrower market segment like Blue Bottles New Orleans Iced Coffee (not a fan of that stuff either).

I'd like to try one, just for the sake of curiosity. I imagine the fact that it's canned might make it slightly more appealing and portable than Blue Bottle's paper carton.

Here's a marketing video about the making of it. Note there's a slightly NSFW cuss word at the very end.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

I tried it last year directly from the tap at their Philly store. I liked it quite a bit. I will try the canned product as soon as I find it.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Moxiechef »

I had it from the tap in DC over New Years. I absolutely loved the texture/mouth feel but I felt the flavor was very diluted by the amount of air. With all that air hitting your palate vs actual "latte", I think a stronger base could help it shine, at least that was my wife & I's opinion.

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

Funny, I never heard about the brand and now there is a program on TV by the guy who started it , called 'uncommon grounds'
LMWDP #483

jbviau
Supporter ★

#5: Post by jbviau »

Moxiechef wrote:I absolutely loved the texture/mouth feel but I felt the flavor was very diluted by the amount of air. With all that air hitting your palate vs actual "latte", I think a stronger base could help it shine, at least that was my wife & I's opinion.
I agree with your take. Also, the first batch of cans had little white specks in the foam; I'm told this was a stirring issue that has since been corrected.

That said, I've already consumed 4 of the 8 cans I ordered over the past 3 days. For what it is, delicious. You can order online here, and a free shipping code is available if you're willing to give your email address.

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

brianl

#6: Post by brianl »

I ordered 8 and will update with impressions. You guys sold me with the free ship code ha

Shife

#7: Post by Shife »

I'm already in their system and can't get the free ship code. The $10 shipping charge is more than I'm willing to pay for $20 worth of frothy beverage. I will have to wait until there is a local option to pick these up or the next time I place an order from La Colombe.

Advertisement
gophish

#8: Post by gophish »

I'm interested to see what you all think. Does it drink lighter than the Starbucks milk blended beverages?

What I couldn't find on their site was an explanation of what "cold pressed espresso" is. Is basically the same as regular espresso, but using cold water? Seems like it would be really under extracted if that was the case?
Versalab

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I just finished my first can and was quite happy with it. There's an interesting texture to it that I wasn't expecting. It's essentially sediment, but somehow comes off as interesting. Hopefully they will ramp up production and distribution channels because although I like it, I'm not going to order it from Philly and pay shipping or wait 10 days for them.

It was sweet, without being cloying. The coffee flavor was adequate and didn't taste anything like crappy 2nd wave cold coffee beverages. I'd highly recommend it to someone looking to try something cold and refreshing.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

brianl

#10: Post by brianl »

They do take forever to ship. Are they available at the shops?