Am I the only young person here?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
caffe1nated

#1: Post by caffe1nated »

The names caffe1nated.

backround info:

I use to be amazed by dads coffee and process when I was younger, even though it was drip.
I use to start making mochas with instant mocha mix, and before long I was going to SBUX at least once or twice a week buying mochas. That was around 10, and at around 13 I got my first "espresso machine". It was a Mr. Coffee, cheap steam $40 machine. Then the next year I upgraded to the Delonghi EC155 I think, It was a weekend thing--In the mornings I would always make a sweet mocha or carmel mocha.

Then my parents remodeled my kitchen, and at the same time I started to go to local coffee shops and started to have flavored lattes. I gave away my Delonghi because my parents bought a Miele CVA 4066 for the entire family (dad, mom, bro-16, and myself, at the time 14). I was getting into the mood at that point being the connoisseur or snob for coffee in my family, and about 2 months ago, I wanted to go back to the manual machines and not the "push-button cappuccino". I got my Rancilio Silvia&Rocky and I started to make more cappaccinos and ordered them from my local coffee shops. I started to go to the coffee shops less and less and only attend my local ones about once every week. My drinks have been amazing to me and the coffee I have been buying has been fresher than ever.

I am 15 years old, and a very passionate young man about coffee. I want to go to college, major in business, minor in computer science, and then with a little background money from programming, start my own coffee shop. It's my dream. I haven't met anyone else near my age who is as passionate about coffee and knowledgable. I've only met 2 people at 2 out of town cafes who are as passionate. Everyone is surprised that a teen as young as me is as much into it as I am.

Is there anyone else here in their teens or early 20's? Or am I the only hipster, coffee geek, and techie this young on this website?

Clint Orchuk

#2: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Wes, you're off to a great start. Passion and dreams are what life is made of. Good luck.

Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

I started to pay attention and visit h-b when I was 18. But i never had the luxury of having sweetened coffee marketed to me ;) i bought my la peppina when i was 19.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Jasonian

#4: Post by Jasonian »

caffe1nated wrote:The names caffe1nated.

backround info:

I use to be amazed by dads coffee and process when I was younger, even though it was drip.
I use to start making mochas with instant mocha mix, and before long I was going to SBUX at least once or twice a week buying mochas. That was around 10, and at around 13 I got my first "espresso machine". It was a Mr. Coffee, cheap steam $40 machine. Then the next year I upgraded to the Delonghi EC155 I think, It was a weekend thing--In the mornings I would always make a sweet mocha or carmel mocha.

Then my parents remodeled my kitchen, and at the same time I started to go to local coffee shops and started to have flavored lattes. I gave away my Delonghi because my parents bought a Miele CVA 4066 for the entire family (dad, mom, bro-16, and myself, at the time 14). I was getting into the mood at that point being the connoisseur or snob for coffee in my family, and about 2 months ago, I wanted to go back to the manual machines and not the "push-button cappuccino". I got my Rancilio Silvia&Rocky and I started to make more cappaccinos and ordered them from my local coffee shops. I started to go to the coffee shops less and less and only attend my local ones about once every week. My drinks have been amazing to me and the coffee I have been buying has been fresher than ever.

I am 15 years old, and a very passionate young man about coffee. I want to go to college, major in business, minor in computer science, and then with a little background money from programming, start my own coffee shop. It's my dream. I haven't met anyone else near my age who is as passionate about coffee and knowledgable. I've only met 2 people at 2 out of town cafes who are as passionate. Everyone is surprised that a teen as young as me is as much into it as I am.

Is there anyone else here in their teens or early 20's? Or am I the only hipster, coffee geek, and techie this young on this website?
It's uncommon, but not unheard of.

I had a similar dream (still do). I started a training and consulting business in 2006 (espressotrainer.com). It is 2011, and I will be 28 in 5 days. I started a roasting business about a year ago (ajcoffeeco.com). I still don't have a shop, but I'm looking forward to opening one eventually.

When I was younger, my passion for coffee was more like an unhealthy obsession. No-one could have a conversation with me without my derailing it towards coffee. I dreamed about coffee. Every distracted thought was about coffee. Sure, I progressed at a rapid pace, but there are better ways to go about it. Just a little advice for you. If you wonder whether it's worth taking, just ask my wife.
"Pro" coffee roaster. Ex barista trainer, competitor, consultant.

caffe1nated (original poster)

#5: Post by caffe1nated (original poster) »

Ha I do the same thing!

caffe1nated (original poster)

#6: Post by caffe1nated (original poster) »

Clint Orchuk wrote:Wes, you're off to a great start. Passion and dreams are what life is made of. Good luck.
Thankyou :D

frankmoss

#7: Post by frankmoss »

At 21, I consider myself to be one of the younger members on HB. I definitely did not start as early as you, but I think that many of us have followed a similar path to being home-baristas. I'm from a small town in Tennessee, and we didn't even have a Starbucks until fairly recently. Combined with the fact that all of my immediate family used to find coffee abhorrent, I wasn't exposed to any form of coffee until I was about 17. Then, I discovered that mochas were very tasty and became a frequent customer at Starbucks and a local coffee shop that wasn't much better. Slowly, I began to crave the coffee part more than the sugar and chocolate, so I progressed to drinking cappuccinos and black coffee. Finally, during my freshman year of college I decided to try straight espresso. Looking back, it was a terrible shot, but I was hooked. I quickly bought a Saeco Aroma and used preground coffee. A few months later, I got a grinder, and my shots improved greatly. Then, I took the plunge and bought an old Faema Compact. I restored it in my dorm room, and after some practice, I was enjoying the best espresso I had ever tried. Since then, I've restored a Rancilio Z9 and added various upgrades to the Faema. I don't plan on going into the coffee business, but it will be a lifelong hobby. I've also converted a few of my coffee-hating family members and friends into coffee fans.

As an aside, I think that we share the same birthday, Jason. I'll be 22 in 5 days.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#8: Post by orphanespresso »

Even though I just turned 18, I have enough wisdom to have married a much older woman! :D

Nik

#9: Post by Nik »

Wes,
While I am at the opposite end of the age slope I admire your focus, individuality and vision. Your message could not be discerned from those many times your age so, as far as I am concerned, no age reservations are due from you. If you really want to take your coffee experience to a higher level quickly I would suggest that you focus on roasting your own beans. This will prove invaluable to you in the future and your enjoyment levels.

Keep posting!

Bob

SL28ave

#10: Post by SL28ave »

I like your plan. Since you seem to be near Chicago, maybe you can visit Intelligentsia's shops or roastery; and maybe Another_Jim's place if he has the time (he might not).
"Few, but ripe." -Carl Friedrich Gauss