Accumulator rust & goo?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
spressomon

#1: Post by spressomon »

So in preparation for my soon to be delivered Slayer I thought I'd disassemble all the water lines to/from the pump and accumulator. The system has about 18-months of use feeding filtered water, Arrowhead, Crystal Geyser and for the last 6-months or so distilled + potassium bicarbonate water.

Surprised to find rust and black goo at the accumulator inlet/outlet. The pump inlet/outlet is very, very clean as are the water lines. But it appears the accumulator (Water Workers) is fabricated from regular steel and not SS and surprised it claims to have NSF certification. Currently waiting for a reply from Water Workers.

Has anyone inspected their water delivery system and/or accumulator and found similar?

No Espresso = Depresso

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

Iron + O2 = rust, ferric oxide and ferrous oxide then some possible living organism goth. This is why municipalities chlorinate water, bug killer. Pure steam distilled water does not cause things to grow but it will cause oxidation. The goth shows up most often a slime in commercial ice machines.

Many bottled water companies sell demineralized, filtered, and passivated water as distilled water which it is not.

What you see is not unusual.

Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

OldNuc wrote:Iron + O2 = rust, ferric oxide and ferrous oxide then some possible living organism goth. This is why municipalities chlorinate water, bug killer. Pure steam distilled water does not cause things to grow but it will cause oxidation. The goth shows up most often a slime in commercial ice machines.
I hate when these guys show up and ruin my water :lol:

Chris