Acaia Scale - App Update Available

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

Acaia has released firmware updates for their Pearl and Lunar scales, as well as new Apps to go with the firmware updates. They're using a new Firmware Tool app so if you've previously upgraded, you'll want to delete the old tool and use the new one.

Here's the updates:
Pearl 1.8 firmware:
  • When you enter calibration mode, the scale will display 100.0 g.
  • Removed the long press of the tare button, which would switch the scale from ounces to grams. You can still change the unit through our apps or via the settings.
  • Minimum start weight lowered from 0.3 g to 0.1 g.
  • Ability to disable the scale's Bluetooth settings. The default is on.
  • Double tap on the power button to turn the scale off. This matches the lunar's turn off. You can still turn off the scale with a long press, but it will be removed in the future.
  • If the scale turns off in the dual display mode, the scale will restart in the same mode.
Lunar: 2.5.067 firmware
*If you recently purchased a lunar, you likely already have this version installed.
  • Added auto-off at 5 minutes. When you're connected to the scale with our app, you can make a brewprint; after 5 minutes of idle time on the scale, it'll automatically turn off. The option to turn off the auto-off is still in place.
  • Ability to disable the scale's Bluetooth settings. The default is on.
Looking at the changes, I'm not sure that I'll upgrade my Kickstarter Pearl at this time. I hardly ever use an app and I switch between grams and ounces regularly when I switch from coffee prep to cooking and want to measure out foods (especially for defrosting), so losing the button press to switch doesn't appeal to me. Apparently, being able to disable Bluetooth is helpful in cafes and competitions.

Here's the link and a video and there'll be a Periscope today at 1 pm PST (@acaiacoffee): http://acaia.co/blogs/news/84160068-new ... rrent-apps
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

AssafL

#2: Post by AssafL »

Firmware engineering companies are notorious for unreliability in reporting what their firmware updates fixed.

I would assume that half a year into the Lunar they would have found more bugs and more feature requests than this???

(Not just Acaia - the onus for the lax firmware development practices is on Apple and Japanese Consumer Electronics for not having "issues" e.g. Apple products dont "crash" - it simply hangs a bit and then "reboots softly" in the background).
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

Finally an android firmware updater!
Chris

Gillingham

#4: Post by Gillingham »

Anyone having issues with trying to update?

Using the latest app on iOS, I turn on the scale, pair with the app, switch it to update mode so it displays update on the scale, then click start update.

The app then reads Firmware updating... and the lower left circle on the scale starts flashing slowly, but progress is never made. Left this open for like 30 minutes and 0 progress/completion.

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

Cancel the update by shutting down the app, then plug in the charger and try again. It worked when i tried that. Instructions came from Rex.

I had actually opened mine up and pulled the battery to get out of update mode but was told that wasn't necessary.

Ira

G.F.

#6: Post by G.F. »

I bought it 2 weeks ago.

Not having issues with the update also I have an android that works very nice with the App and scale but all in all it's just a toy.

Uldall

#7: Post by Uldall »

Thanks.

/Uldall
Bassethound.
Coffee Driven.

Gillingham

#8: Post by Gillingham »

ira wrote:Cancel the update by shutting down the app, then plug in the charger and try again. It worked when i tried that. Instructions came from Rex.

I had actually opened mine up and pulled the battery to get out of update mode but was told that wasn't necessary.

Ira
Unfortunately I've tried that, with both the android updater and iOS, wonder if there's something wrong with the scale.

Oddly when updating via android, the light doesn't blink that only happens on iOS. Either way I tried both methods and progress with the update was never made. Guess I'll see if I can get support direct from Acaia