About Roasting and Brewing at Altitude

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Martin

#1: Post by Martin »

About 5 months in Santa Fe, NM, at 7500 ft. Charts show water boiling at about 198f; 92c.
Heatgun roasting takes about 20% longer. More easily accessible, sweeter, softer low-end flavors, but have to re-learn the drying, early-ramp ---otherwise it's easy to lose fruits and flowers. I have a hunch (naive physics) that the altitude, longer-roast duration, (maybe lower humidity,) is giving me roasts more similar to drum roasting and less like air. Thoughts on that?

As far as pulling shots, I get noticeable steamier--bubblier shots (that collapse as when coffee hasn't been rested long enough.) Best shots are when I keep the brew-temp high, grind a bit finer, and don't pay attention to the bubbles. Thoughts on this?

Still working on cooking rice.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Martin wrote: Best shots are when I keep the brew-temp high, grind a bit finer, and don't pay attention to the bubbles. Thoughts on this?
I was going to say exactly this. And it aplies to your filter brews as well. If your pour overs lack depth and richness in their extraction, you can aggitate or grind finer.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

Welcome to New Mexico!

That's interesting that you are going higher with your brew temp than you did in New York. I've always brewed espresso at 5000ft, so have no experience about how brewing up here differs. I'd been under the impression, however, based on a very old Chris Tacy post ( The Denver effect? ) that I might be better off at 5000ft with coffees that prefer a lower brew temp. The surprising statement in the Chris Tacy post is that he also ran his high altitude shop at a lower boiler pressure, which when adjusted for altitude would translate to a much lower boiler temp.

In Santa Fe you are at an altitude where target brew temps may be at or above the unpressurized boiling point (198F), whereas us lowlanders at 5000ft are unlikely to want boiling temp water (203F) in the coffee bed. Might make a significant difference, especially with bubbles in the crema.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h