5-speed espresso tamper

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
coffeedude55

#1: Post by coffeedude55 »

I had a 5-spd car shifter knob, off my old Firebird, just collecting dust. I had it custom made a few years ago by EPCOmfg. They did it in a pearl white, which has turned to a nice silver over time. They also manufacture billiard balls & bowling balls.

I wondered if I could combine it with my Rattleware 58mm tamper with the shifter knob? I unscrewed the tamper handle, and it measured about 3/4" or 19mm in outside diameter? The shifter ball has a 16mm threaded insert. I went to the hardware store and could not find any bolts that would fit, then I tried the plumbing dept. They had a (Watts A-387 1/2 in. x 1/2 in. Plastic Barb x Male Adapter (15mm x 15mm) threaded nylon hose barb). I thought it might work. I had to cut, grind, and sand down the threaded part, but it did fit with a little effort. The barbed end was a little too thin, so I gave it a good wrap with Teflon tape.

This was an easy project, and came out pretty good. It has a nice look and feel. The 2" diameter works good for this application. It's about 1/4" larger in diameter vs. the Rattleware handle, but it doesn't feel oversized.

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102043207@ ... 838791195/

UltramaticOrange

#2: Post by UltramaticOrange »

I couldn't use that. My left foot would be stomping on the floor looking for the clutch every time I pulled a shot.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

kajer

#3: Post by kajer »

+1 for manual

:)

expy98

#4: Post by expy98 »

UltramaticOrange wrote:I couldn't use that. My left foot would be stomping on the floor looking for the clutch every time I pulled a shot.
twice per tamp...

kajer

#5: Post by kajer »

double clutch tamping is for people without syncromesh.

beta14ok

#6: Post by beta14ok »

......Reminds me of a tamper I made some years ago. BMW e30 shifter and EspressoParts "flame" base:

LaDan

#7: Post by LaDan »

Once you've gone through all the gear shifts, your puck is perfectly nutated.

old442

#8: Post by old442 »

Thankfully that wasn't from an old Mopar with the pistol grip, it would not be very ergonmic.
Kurt
LMWDP 114

UltramaticOrange

#9: Post by UltramaticOrange replying to old442 »

Pistol grip ... pulling a shot ... :|
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

kajer

#10: Post by kajer »

gangster yo