1 and 1

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
pip

#1: Post by pip »

I had a friend mention a coffee that he picked up at the Pheonix airport which was called a 1and1 or something like that. For a double spout portafilter you make a shot and a macchiato. I typically do this in the mornings for myself most days followed by a regular double. Has anyone else heard of this being an actual drink to order at a shop?

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dumpshot »

Cartel Coffee Lab in the Phoenix area does this drink. They have a location in the airport, so I assume this is where you got yours. They started it a few years ago when they traded out their Synessos for LM Stradas and started using the double spouted portafilters. Not sure if this is a common drink elsewhere. I asked for one once at Intelligentsia and the dude looked at me with disdain and pointed to their bottomless PFs (although that could have just been a bad day for that fella).

Anyway, I like it. It is a nice little treat, kind of the best of both worlds. And they have a nice presentation on a custom brew board that has the two drinks on the sides and a bubbly water in the middle. It is my go-to order there.

Pete
LMWDP #484

aecletec

#3: Post by aecletec »

Yeah, but it was confusing as hell when I was asked if I wanted one for the first time!

Hudson

#4: Post by Hudson »

This is how one of my favorite shops in Michigan serves a macchiato. Split the shot, serve one straight and one with milk on a wooden brew board.
LMWDP #534

canuckcoffeeguy

#5: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I like this idea. Might start doing this at home to mix things up. I rarely drink milk drinks. But this is a good way to get some variety.

And shops could presumably charge a bit more for this combo over a double. So more profit.

Jnmobile

#6: Post by Jnmobile »

Verve Coffee in Santa Cruz is offering this option.

bluesman

#7: Post by bluesman »

pip wrote:Has anyone else heard of this being an actual drink to order at a shop?
It's a "real" thing - I was introduced to this at Square One in Philly, and I've since ordered it at several good shops. It should also come with a small glass of sparkling water.

Catherwood

#8: Post by Catherwood »

My default order at Box Kite in NYC + sparkling water + small single bite of a shortbread cookie

shawndo

#9: Post by shawndo »

I've ordered this at multiple shops in NYC.
I chatted with the baristas at stumptown about it and they say it is a standard offering any decent shop should offer. Right before they turned their noses when I asked them what a "Flat White" was...

But use it in context. It also has an unfortunate association:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... 0and%20one
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

brianl

#10: Post by brianl »

I love that 20th anniversary intelligentsia cup. I picked one of those up awhile ago as well.