Why no range/oven convertible roaster?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
day

#1: Post by day »

So, listing after the north roaster in the marketplace I
Have been wondering if, at 3,000 dollars there might not be a better home roaster path for manufacturing to take.

Just imagine-no problem with 240volt, easy pre installed natural gas, no additional space constraints, venting easily achieved...I am not saying it would be cheap, but if you combined your oven/range budget and your coffee roaster budget I imagine once you hit 2k+ roaster cost there would be enough overlap of technology/features that a complete integration would be feasible and profitable, no?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

AssafL

#2: Post by AssafL »

Interesting Idea.

We have a Gaggenau oven at home that has a spit mount. Perhaps a perforated bean cage could be fabricated to fit around the spit.

It has accurate heat controls, goes up to 300C (great for Pizza), and has catalytic smoke elimination (which works surprisingly well).
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

I'll give my FerrariG3 pizza oven a go, use my PID box normally used for sous vide...thing heats up to like 450-500'C as I have both heating elements on top, no catalytic cleaning required :mrgreen: .

(380 is the ideal temp of the stone when chucking a pizza in, cooking takes some 90-120 sec)

Interesting experiment, not sure where to put the temp probe though...
LMWDP #483

vilseiprairien

#4: Post by vilseiprairien »

I've thought of this as well. It's quite simple, technically speaking. Only thing is, if you are roasting inside an enclosed box, how will you rotate the drum without drilling a hole somewhere? If you have an oven designed to work with a rotisserie, then you'd be set to go.

There are roasting drums that are designed to work with the rotisserie on a gas grill. My boss has one, but I've never seen it in person. I don't like the ones I've seen so far on Ebay, because they are more like a mesh than a perforated drum.

AssafL

#5: Post by AssafL replying to vilseiprairien »

If you have a spit - it can rotate the coffee drum...

AssafL

#6: Post by AssafL »

Marcelnl wrote:(380 is the ideal temp of the stone when chucking a pizza in, cooking takes some 90-120 sec)
The Gaggenau has a separate heater for the pizza stone. The highest I measured on it was 320C. Pizzas take over 180 sec to cook.

I am envious...

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

Don't be as the pizza oven can be bought quite cheap, only trouble is that you'll be venturing into yet another time consuming hobby :wink: just saying: dough calculator, caputo OO flour, cold fermentation....pizza oven modding at the risk of burning down the house...

Roasting is not something I'd try in my Oven, a try out in the pizza oven is a go :mrgreen:
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
Andy

#8: Post by Andy »

How would you manage the chaff?

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

The pizza oven will take care if chaff....even if in a don't try this at home style.... :lol:
LMWDP #483

AssafL

#10: Post by AssafL »

Marcelnl wrote:Don't be as the pizza oven can be bought quite cheap, only trouble is that you'll be venturing into yet another time consuming hobby :wink: just saying: dough calculator, caputo OO flour, cold fermentation....pizza oven modding at the risk of burning down the house...

Roasting is not something I'd try in my Oven, a try out in the pizza oven is a go :mrgreen:
Love 00 flour. Use it in the Torcheo and for Pizza. Use the combi steamer to accelerate fermentation, but use a dough starter for the added amino acids and flavor.

FWIW - it seems easier to roast coffee in the oven than it is to make a pizza in the coffee roaster :) In an effort to find more uses for the quest - I did want to roast chestnuts but they were too big to fit through the chute.