Which Datalogger for ET/BT on Hottop - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
docjoe (original poster)

#21: Post by docjoe (original poster) »

docjoe wrote:Erics,

I think the jury might still be out with this one and Artisan. Someone on the Artisan thread bought one but has not yet been able to make it work with Artisan. If it ends up working, then I'll probably get it.
Eric,

I just received the Amprobe.

What drivers did you install? Omega or Amprobe drivers? My laptop won't take the mini cd they provided so I have to download online. I really haven't had time to fully troubleshoot it yet.
Cheers!

Joe

erics
Supporter ★

#22: Post by erics »

Sometimes, "things" can get confusing in a thread because the various posters unintentionally omit some details - me too. :(

I do not use a Mac. However, I received the following communication from Omega & I quote verbatim:
The HH806AU is compatible with a Mac Book that has a Windows Operating System.
I have said all along that the Amprobe TMD-56 is identical to the Omega HH806AU but, to the best of my knowledge, no one has tried to use EITHER the Omega HH806AU or the Amprobe TMD-56 with an Apple product.

I sorta think the place to start with the TMD-56 is with Amprobe themselves even though both of these products come from the same source in China.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

docjoe (original poster)

#23: Post by docjoe (original poster) »

Eric,

Thanks for the reply. For all intents and purposes, treat me like a PC user.

Which drivers did you use to connect Artisan to your PC? The Amprobe drivers? Or Omega drivers? Also did you select the Omega HH806AU in Artisan?

I'm basically going to run my Mac as a PC which makes it identical to a PC, no emulation.

FWIW I'm running Windows 7.

I am sure I'll have more questions for you as I try various things.
Cheers!

Joe

erics
Supporter ★

#24: Post by erics »

I am sure I'll have more questions for you as I try various things.
Well . . . that's fine for me but . . . I don't roast and thus I don't use Artisan. I have used a variety of Omega's, including the HH806AU, to record various temperatures on espresso machines.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

docjoe (original poster)

#25: Post by docjoe (original poster) »

I am sure that for form and function, the Amprobe TMD-56 is identical to the Omega HH806AU but the problem may lie in the onboard firmware that may cause compatibility issues connecting to Artisan and a PC.

Good thing I bought it from Grainger. They said that the local shop would accept a return! If worse comes to worse I can return it and get the Omega.
Cheers!

Joe

docjoe (original poster)

#26: Post by docjoe (original poster) »

Ok, I think I got it to work with Artisan.

Here's a picture of the window showing one temp responding to my body heat (the blue line) followed by dipping the thermocouple in hot water and then taking it out to normalize. I'm getting real time readings.

So here is my current setup:

1. MacBook Air 13" 2011 version 2.13 Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM
2. Running Parallel's emulation (Latest application update as of 03/09/12)
3. Running Windows 7
4. Installed the Amprobe drivers included in the package

I currently have the chute bean temp probe installed. I will ultimately make a more permanent install of probes into the drum wall itself as others have done. In the meantime, I plan on widening the bean chute probe holes enough to accommodate the included naked thermocouples that came with the TMD-56. I am going to thread the end so that it runs next to the BT Probe but remains above the bean mass so that it gets the ET. I think that should work.

Yay! I am glad that I got it to work on my setup.
Cheers!

Joe

Arpi

#27: Post by Arpi »

Hi docjoe,

Congrats and very good news. Thanks for reporting. You don't need to emulate Windows to run artisan. There is a Mac download available. You would also need to download the Mac drivers for the Amprobe TMD-56 here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

That driver would create a virtual serial com port whenever you connect your TMD-56. Then, you would need to config the serial properties in artisan and it should work faster than emulating Windows.

Cheers

docjoe (original poster)

#28: Post by docjoe (original poster) »

Arpi,

Thank you so much for that link! I am definitely going to try running it Native, which I would prefer! Also, It seems that that driver software also works with PPC so I might try using one of my old laptops just for the purpose of roasting.
Cheers!

Joe

docjoe (original poster)

#29: Post by docjoe (original poster) »

I just got it Artisan to work with the Amprobe TMD-56 on my MacBook Air in the Mac Environment. Thanks Arpi for that USB driver! That sure did it!
Cheers!

Joe

Arpi

#30: Post by Arpi »

Great! Thanks for reporting.