What to look for in a stove for Huky/Kaldi Fortis 600g

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
AKucewicz

#1: Post by AKucewicz »

I'm considering upgrading from my Behmor to something more advanced. One of the roadblocks has been what I have read, or lack thereof, on how to heat them.

First of all, I am no engineer or weekend warrior so please put everything in the simplest language you can. I understand the idea of propane vs natural gas, but people start talking about BTUs (I understand the units, but not what a roaster of the mentioned size needs...) and adapters and throwing fractions around and I get lost.

I have heard differing opionions on Mr. Li's stove that he sells with his Huky. I have heard that it isn't powerful enough AND thats its exactly what a machine of the Huky/Kaldi Fortis 600 caliber needs.

Basically, can somebody have mercy and patience and explain to me what in the world I am looking for if I'm thinking the Huky/Kaldi route?

johnny4lsu

#2: Post by johnny4lsu »

His stove is plenty powerful enough. I used his stove and I also had a direct flame burner that I used. I used both for hundreds of roasts, and decided to stick with his stove. It works great.

SJM

#3: Post by SJM »

What Johnny said.
There is no lack of power from the IR burner from Mr. Li.

The only reason not to use it is if you already have in place a burner which you have and which his stove would duplicate. To source a different one is a waste of time and most of the available burners would still have to be modified with needle valves and gauges.

hipporun

#4: Post by hipporun »

As Johnny stated Mr. Li's IR burner is powerful enough and beyond, but I have something to add as well. It is shockingly fuel efficient; I hooked it up to a standard size propane tank (50 gal. maybe?) and it would go thru hundreds of pounds worth of roasting. Truly blew my mind away.