What is this roaster?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Bob_McBob

#1: Post by Bob_McBob »

In the 2006 coffee documentary Black Gold, there's an interview with a relative of Frank P. Atha, one of Folgers' most important salesmen at the turn of the 20th century. He notes that he doesn't drink Folgers coffee because he prefers to roast it fresh every day or two. They show him using some sort of countertop roaster. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but I can't put my finger on it. Any ideas?

Chris

doubleOsoul

#2: Post by doubleOsoul »

Got me. I did a search for counter top roasters and didn't see anything.

Advertisement
Contrabass_Bry

#3: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

I don't recognize the roaster, but I DO recognize that Capresso grinder...

Ah, the memories.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

The beans he is pouring into that contraption look half roasted already (maybe it's sweep from the F*^%#!$ roastery). And calling someone, "One of Folgers' most important salesmen at the turn of the 20th century," is my new standard insult. :wink:

EXAMPLE:
A - "I am a salesman for a coffee company."
B - "From the taste of this coffee you must be one of Folgers' most important salesmen!"

Years from now you will be able to say you remember when and where that started!
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

rrhd

#5: Post by rrhd »

I recently watched a documentary on youtube and I saw a roasting machine I haven't seen before, the youtube video is called "PBS- Black Coffee, Part2of3 - Gold in Your Cup", and the time is 28:45

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9sp8Vj2anI#t=1724

Does anyone know what machine this is?

...merged with thread on same topic by moderator...

Bob_McBob (original poster)

#6: Post by Bob_McBob (original poster) »

What is this roaster?

(no answer yet)
Chris

rrhd

#7: Post by rrhd »

Looks like someone else was as baffled as me! I posted this in some other forums, so if I get an answer there, I'll post it here, or maybe I should call Russel Atha Jr. ;)

Advertisement
allenb

#8: Post by allenb »

Bob_McBob (original poster)

#9: Post by Bob_McBob (original poster) »

Mystery solved! I wonder how that ended up in his kitchen?
Chris

DanoM

#10: Post by DanoM »

Bob_McBob wrote:In the 2006 coffee documentary Black Gold, there's an interview with a relative of Frank P. Atha, one of Folgers' most important salesmen at the turn of the 20th century. He notes that he doesn't drink Folgers coffee because he prefers to roast it fresh every day or two. They show him using some sort of countertop roaster. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but I can't put my finger on it. Any ideas?
I just noticed one of these on eBay. Someone mentioned they were interested in finding one, so maybe this will help:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unimax-Home-Cof ... 1286614646
No bids as of yet.
LMWDP #445