Warning! North TJ-067 (late 2013) Fasteners Get Loose in Cooling Tray

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Note: This is about a North TJ-067 just before Mill City took on U.S. distribution.

Hi Everyone:

I noticed something shiny before it went into my grinder. Then I discovered that there's an inherent hazard in my North TJ-067 cooling tray. The arms have thick Teflon strips attached by 10mm hex key screws with nuts fastened into the Teflon. The folks at North probably thought the Teflon is good to tighten against because it creates a snug fit -- except that plastic migrates over time. One of those nuts loosened and almost ruined my Ditting burrs! I've just added threadlocker to those nuts and will keep an eye on them from now on. I've cross-posted this to the North Roaster forum to make sure the word gets out!

Here's a close-up

Fastener with hex key inserted

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

They should probably just use Nylocks instead of loctite so it's obvious they need to be locked.

Ira

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

ira wrote:They should probably just use Nylocks instead of loctite so it's obvious they need to be locked.
+1
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

millcityroasters

#4: Post by millcityroasters »

We made that change eons ago.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Thanks, Steve. I noted my early version above. What's the other side of your fix look like?
Gary
LMWDP#308

millcityroasters

#6: Post by millcityroasters replying to drgary »

Pretty much the same socket head cap screw. Just replace the slippery nuts with Nylocs. They are metric but I don't recall the size. Maybe M6?

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary (original poster) »

They take a 10mm wrench, so yes, that's M6.
Gary
LMWDP#308

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

Nylocks are really only useful if the bolt extends at least one thread past the nut. You need to use a longer bolt.

Ira

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Thanks, Ira. I've applied thread locker and have nylocks on order. The threads extend well beyond the original nuts. I'll see if they fit. But you're correct about the photo shown by Steve. The threads don't extend beyond the bolt there.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Balthazar_B

#10: Post by Balthazar_B replying to drgary »

I'm sure Steve will reply and clarify as soon as he's finished loading up the fireplace with a few oak logs, but I'm guessing he showed the nut without a bolt to illustrate that they're using Nylocks. Of course, if they're not extending the bolt a thread or two beyond the end of the nut, that can be very easily remedied.
- John

LMWDP # 577