Verdicts of Roast Stages in Artisan

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
AndreG
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by AndreG »

The subject might have been discussed previously but I could not find it.

Artisan gives a verdict for each of the stages when the roast ends (Time, %, ROR and a verdict). I have obtained verdicts like these:

- OK or OK/Leathery or OK/Grassy for the first stage;
- OK or Toasty/OK for the second;
- OK or Acidic/OK for the third.

I am curious. How should one interpret these verdicts?

Thank you for your expertise.

UltramaticOrange

#2: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Here's how Artisan is determining what feedback to present to you. I lifted this from the graph area documentation page. It's attempting to tell you what roast defects you might expect to taste if you don't hit what Artisan expects. Note that these settings are adjustable. Because most of my roasts fall in the city-full city range, I ignore the "acidic" note a lot. However, I'd say that the notes about the dry phase are pretty spot-on.

Dry Phase
  • if dry phase time less than 3 mins or less than 26% of the total time then Short Drying Phase "Grassy"
    if dry phase time greater then 6 mins or more than 40% of the total time then Long Drying Phase "Leathery"
    else "OK"
Mid Phase
  • if mid phase time less than 5 minutes then Short To 1C Phase "Toasty"
    if mid phase time greater then 10 minutes then Long To 1C Phase "Bready"
    else "OK"
Finish Phase
  • if finish phase is less than 3 mins then Short Finish Phase "Acidic"
    if finish phase is over 6 minutes then Long Finish Phase "Flat"
    else "OK"
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

AndreG (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by AndreG (original poster) »

Fantastic!

Thank you for the explanations and for the hyperlink, it's much clearer now. Then the verdict is not directly based on the ROR but is a determining factor.

MaKoMo

#4: Post by MaKoMo »

Artisan outputs a verdict of the final taste for each of the three roast phases as part of its statistic bar after the roast. Those verdicts can be activated, but also deactivated in the statistics dialog (Config/Statistics menu). The actual verdict are based on the statistic evaluation min and max times per phases as configured in the same tab. Is the time of an actual roast spend in a phase is within those limits it receives an ok. If it is out of those limits it receives a verdict that depends on the phase and the type of limit (min or max) it violates. Those verdicts are based on knowledge that was distributed in this forum. If the time in a phase is about to violate the phase limits it the verdict is a combination of OK/<right-verdict> or <left-verdict>/OK.

So this is just an experiment in trying to codify some forum knowledge into a tool. As this "forum knowledge" is under constant discussions, also those verdicts based on it are debatable. It should be clear to most people roasting that a computer program cannot predict taste based on a temperature curve and some timed events alone.

Let us know what you think about this feature. Should it be removed, improved or just documented?

Remember: Artisan is on purpose an experimental tool developed in a very explorative way

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Italyhound »

Speaking of stages, Marko.

Are the buttons configurable?

Meaning, instead of charge dry 1c etc ...

can buttons be added and then custom named?

MaKoMo

#6: Post by MaKoMo »

You cannot rename the default event buttons as those have well defined names (but you can hide them in the latest versions). There is another category of custom event buttons that can be freely defined. Those can have any name, an action attached, and also be visualized in the graph. So the short answer is yes, but..

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Italyhound »

under which menu would I find that option?

tamarian

#8: Post by tamarian »

MaKoMo wrote:You cannot rename the default event buttons as those have well defined names (but you can hide them in the latest versions). There is another category of custom event buttons that can be freely defined. Those can have any name, an action attached, and also be visualized in the graph. So the short answer is yes, but..
Marko, I forgot to report a bug in the 0.6beta, The default event buttons options keep resetting to off. I need to set them to on, each time I start the app.

AndreG (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by AndreG (original poster) »

MaKoMo wrote:
Let us know what you think about this feature. Should it be removed, improved or just documented?

Remember: Artisan is on purpose an experimental tool developed in a very explorative way
Thank you for your work, Artisan has helped me learn, achieve and enjoy the process.
As a beginner, I use the Phase Verdicts as guides and it does help to evaluate how the beans reacted. Personally, I would vote a definite « YES »; it's a keeper.

I do not know if it would be possible to show the verdicts live.

My next step is to use the HUD for this purpose.

endlesscycles

#10: Post by endlesscycles »

Unfortunately, these roast stage "rules of thumb" aren't true.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC