Variac: To Cheap or Not To Cheap?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
boar_d_laze

#1: Post by boar_d_laze »

My roasting time got absolutely hammered yesterday during peak air-conditioning hours use. My roaster operates pretty close to the limits of its circuit and any voltage fluctuation, is consequential. So, I need something.

How bad are the inexpensive, Asian-made Variacs? Take a chance on a new, e-bay, made in Asia 20A for $90; or, spend close to [gulp] $400 for a US made refurb (from a dealer close enough for me to pick up myself)?

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

Or roast early mornings?
LMWDP #603

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

In my experience, the Asian variacs are very robust; but the knobs and voltmeters not so much, on mine they broke after a few years. That being said; it's still by far the cheapest way to get a step up on voltage if you are having a brown out.
Jim Schulman

boar_d_laze (original poster)

#4: Post by boar_d_laze (original poster) »

Or roast early mornings?
Almost always do, and to hell with the neighbors. But y'know how it is, sometimes you get the urge in the afternoon.
In my experience, the Asian variacs are very robust; but the knobs and voltmeters not so much, on mine they broke after a few years. That being said; it's still by far the cheapest way to get a step up on voltage if you are having a brown out.
Thanks Jim, your judgement on these sorts of things is always excellent, plus you saved me hundreds.

BDL

Cafedenda

#5: Post by Cafedenda »

I used to buy vintage US made variacs and audio equipment at ham radio swap meets. Prices are much more reasonable than the auction site. There are 2 of these swap meets in the Socal area. One is the last Saturday of the month Aviation and Marine in El Segundo. The other one and is much smaller is held on the 3rd Saturday of the month at Chino Hills High School.

Found a link: http://www.destruc.tv/socalswaps/

boar_d_laze (original poster)

#6: Post by boar_d_laze (original poster) replying to Cafedenda »

Too late. I bought a 20A Chinese variac off ebay for $90 + $22 shipping which comes out to something like ($22 shipping!!!) $112. It was built for Edward Snowden personally, but they're having trouble locating him.

BDL

JK

#7: Post by JK »

I have had one of these for just over a year.. Its a 30 amp so its over kill but since its an import from a USA company I feel a little better.. You do have to buy a short extension cord and cut it in two to wire it..
Also I plug my Kill-a-Watt meter into out line it so its digital output wattage easy to read..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metered-Variac- ... 337dd6fd71
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

Cafedenda

#8: Post by Cafedenda »

That's a good looking variac. None of mine has the meter which is very useful.

I think Jim is correct. A variac is a very simple device consisting of coils an insulated wire. The weak points would then be the knob, wiper, solder points and the meter. If you purchased one with enough margin, it should work fine.