USRC Sample Roaster - Three Month Follow Up

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
boar_d_laze

#1: Post by boar_d_laze »

The Roaster:
Overall construction quality is excellent. However, be aware that it's a piece of industrial equipment and not a gem; and that it's American, not German. Welds are well finished, but not invisible. Stainless edges are not finished to the level of a Tag-Heuer watch bracelet. American industrial: Everything fits, everything lines up, everything is safe, everything is appropriately rated, and "good enough" is pretty damn good.

Post sales support from USRC is excellent. Be aware though that every Sample roaster is something of a custom job and there's no one manual that someone in the company can read from to answer any question. Also, be aware that USRC is not exactly a tight ship: Not everyone is there every business hour of every business day; people take a week or two off to take care of their sick wives; not everyone has his own voice mail; and so on. Getting what you need may take a second or even a third phone call, but it happens, it happens in English, and they'll keep working at it until it happens right. There are people there who not only know USRC roasters, but know how to roast and are as excited about their own roasting as we are about ours. How much is that worth?

Whatever I wished for in terms of electronic sophistication, I've come to terms with USRC's and my "last generation" setup including TC external mount locations, external wire routing, need for an external TC -> USB device, etc. Linda thinks its charming.

Gas, fan and damper represent a lot of control possibilities. Coordinating them to roast exactly according to profile takes more practice than I've had; but I'm sanguine I'll get there.

The only serious limitation to roast quality is me.

Compared to What?
The USRC is far more responsive and capable than either my HotTop or my Dalian Amazon. It is a great deal more sophisticated and versatile than a Huky. Although the USRC and Huky are both 500g gas roasters, the difference in quality is so great it's fair to say they're different in kind.

What about other, even more expensive US and European roasters like Ambex, Diedrich, Giesen, Toper, San Franciscan, etc.? The smallest Ambex is 2kg and too big for my purposes which includes sampling charges as small as 100g. As to the others -- don't know. Because I can't imagine something they'd do better for me, doesn't mean there isn't quite a lot.

The big question for many people reading this is: "How does it compare to the Chinese roasters which do more or less the same thing but are half the price?" I don't have enough experience with the Bellas, Norths, Santokers or Yang Chias of this world to answer. Nor, offhand, can I think of anyone else who does.

Generally, you don't get what you don't pay for; and what I've read from people posting about their Asian roasters supports the proposition that there are differences between my Sample Roaster and its less-expensive competitors. Whether those differences are worth three grand to anyone else, I can't say.

Bottom Line:
The USRC may not be the slickest roaster in the world, but everything works, works right, and works well. I can't imagine anything better for manual, artisanal roasting. Knowing what I know now, I'd buy exactly the same thing -- in a heartbeat.

Ka-thump.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Great follow up. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with your description of USRC. If you ever make it to OKC be sure you visit where your roaster was built. It's really a neat place.

sonnyhad

#3: Post by sonnyhad »

Very nice, I enjoy reading about all thse roasters that I would love to get my fat fingers on. Someday, I'll have something better than my behmor, by the time I do, I'll at least be a bit more educated about what's out there. Many good things have happened in the last 15 years or so since I've started roasting my own.
You just don't see too many of these sample roasters hit the market, I keep any eye out though!
LMWDP 437

Viridian

#4: Post by Viridian »

Yes, thank you for this summary. I had just requested a quote on this very roaster.

sprint jinx

#5: Post by sprint jinx »

Sounds to me like you should sell me your hottop?

jkyano

#6: Post by jkyano »

Looks like a beautiful roaster. I have been roasting for about the past year and half, and I am looking into upgrading soon. US Roaster is at the top of my list for consideration. I am trying to work out the logistics of where I would put it and how I will set it up. I am most likely leaning towards propane, and keeping it on an industrial cart and roasting in the garage. I also live in Southern Cal so I planned on just roasting with the garage door open ie I hadn't given much thought to venting. In getting some quotes from other companies I realized that I might want to re-think that. I was just curious how is yours set up? I currently roast on the Behemor and have no issues with smoke. Although I realize that there is some smoke suppression technology in the Behmor, I didn't really think I was doing that much, especially given the fact that I generally let the elements cool down for a few min then open the door for more rapid cooling.

What size batches do you normally run? and is smoke an issue?

I will probably roast 3-4 back to back 200-300 g roasts in a session. Perhaps around the holidays I will roast full pounds as gifts.

Cheers,

Jason

boar_d_laze (original poster)

#7: Post by boar_d_laze (original poster) »

Jason,

The best way to answer your questions is for you to come over here with some beans and answer them for yourself. Let's make a time. My phone number is in your inbox.

Rich

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

I think a valuable point to keep in mind with this great roaster is one that might accidentally get overlooked, but in fact, is a huge + . This roaster weighs only 88 pounds ( a little over 130 crated). In comparison, the tank of a roaster that I have (that I can't use easily due to its insane weight issues) lands in at a whopping 250+ pounds. Mine might be able to do larger roasts, but it's not worth it at the unmovable weight in my living arrangement.

Knowing then, what I know now, I'd have saved and waited a bit longer for the USRC Sample Roaster. Having reputable support from a rock solid American manufacturer on a machine that one person could move around as needed, is a huge deal.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

jkyano

#9: Post by jkyano »

boar_d_laze wrote:Jason,

The best way to answer your questions is for you to come over here with some beans and answer them for yourself. Let's make a time. My phone number is in your inbox.

Rich
Sounds like a plan! Didn't see this until this morning

boar_d_laze (original poster)

#10: Post by boar_d_laze (original poster) »

Jase,

Just give me a call whenever.

Rich