USRC sample roaster is here! - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hankua
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by hankua »

Congratulations!

boar_d_laze

#12: Post by boar_d_laze »

I hate to be the voice of gloom and hate just as much to disagree with Steve, but in my sad experience BBQ regulators (as from Lowe's) won't work with the low pressure needs of the USRC. :cry: I bought one on Roger's advice. And when the roaster wouldn't light I had to buy a new multi-meter (old one was on loan to out of town friend) before indulging in the privilege of several frustrating hours checking electrical continuity before figuring out the problem. So, yeah. Disaster.

The regulator Dean recommended, the one I bought, and which has worked well ever since, was a two-stage, Fisher R632-JFF (SPG 9" - 13"). The regulator itself was about $100 from the estimable Ted Johnson Propane in Baldwin Park (local to me, but not to you), and I spent another $75 or so for connectors, adapters, a new, full 5gal tank, and a fill up on an older tank I had.

If I'm not mistaken USRC ships the Fisher with the sample roaster if the buyer orders a regulator through them.

The regulator Steve sells would probably work as well for the USRC as the Fisher. Also, there are a couple of things on Amazon which would do the trick. However if you're in a hurry for first-burn, you'll be able to put together the package of regulator, adapters and hoses if you deal with someone local.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

osanco

#13: Post by osanco »

No hard feelings, BDL. If I don't learn something new everyday, it's usually because I'm not listening. :D

Just out of curiosity, did you have your airflow turned on when trying the BBQ regulator?

We often see problems igniting at low pressure when the air is off.

For some not entirely understood reason, this is less of an issue with the Marshall and I presume the Fisher.

I'm aware that Fisher makes a very good regulator also, but I haven't tried one yet. I'm also testing a much more robust Marshall-1912 that ramps to 20" WC.

I'll be roasting on it tomorrow to see what that's like.

Congratulations on the new USRC too. If my wife hadn't vetoed it, I'd have one in my basement instead of 13 1kg roasters in transit again. I guess the joke's on her. LOL

DanoM

#14: Post by DanoM »

I put a dual stage regulator similar to the link provided on my propane gas grill. Night an day difference even there! Propane pressure is steady from the beginning to the end of the tank. I also tweak that second stage as necessary: very low when smoking or running an all day slow cook, and high pressure to run a 700F grill and sear off steaks nice and quick. I'll never use a single stage regulator on a grill again.

The one that Rich, BDL, referenced looks really nice. I like the stacked dual regulator design appearance more than the serial regulators.
LMWDP #445

[creative nickname] (original poster)

#15: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

Guys, this conversation is going to be invaluable for me when I head out shopping this afternoon. I got general specs from Dean, but not much sense of which brands were reliable.

The plan is to see if a local place has it, and then buy online as a backup if not.
LMWDP #435

[creative nickname] (original poster)

#16: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

I found a local source for a Rego two stage regulator that runs from 11-14", and should put out more than enough BTUs. Dean recommended 12-15", but this is as close as I can find in town. Think it will work, or should I wait and order online??
LMWDP #435

kboom1

#17: Post by kboom1 »

congrats on your new roaster.
When I ordered mine I decided to just get the Fisher USRC sold to avoid all the problems.
Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Bodka Coffee

#18: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I picked my regulator up from a propane gas company. I can only go to 9" with it.

Bodka Coffee

#19: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Of course different size roaster so if Dean recommends that size then go for it.

Bodka Coffee

#20: Post by Bodka Coffee »

That local one should work I would think.