Using external probes with new Hottop in Artisan?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
EvanOz85

#1: Post by EvanOz85 »

Hey everyone. Does anyone know if I can set up Artisan to use the Control feature on the USB Hottop, but log data from my Omega probes instead of the internal Hottop ones? After a few months of use, I am terribly frustrated with the HT's probes, and they are basically useless when roasting under a half pound. When I try and select the Omega for monitoring, I lose the "Control" button for the Hottop. Thanks

Stereo Heathen

#2: Post by Stereo Heathen »

You should be able to set up a second device under "Extra Devices" for either your Hottop control or Omega probes.
I'm not sure which one should be primary and which should be extra, when trying to control with one and record ET/BT from the other, but I also don't see any reason it shouldn't work.

Advertisement
EvanOz85 (original poster)

#3: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

Ok I got the probe set up as an Extra Device, but how do I get Artisan to use it for the RoR curve? Even though I turned off the curves for the Hottop probes, it's still using those for the Delta BT/ET. Also, how do I set it to use the probes for predicting End of Drying, 1st Start, etc..?

Thanks!

MaKoMo

#4: Post by MaKoMo »

You might be able to map the values from your extra device to the main channels by defining a "Symbolic Assignment". This is untested, but under "Symb ET/BT" tab you might want to add "Y3" (without the quotes) under "ET Y(x)" and "Y4" under "BT Y(x)" to achieve this, assuming your the first channel of your first extra device channel delivers ET and the second channel BT from the Omega. See the HELP button text accessible from within that dialog tab.

#5: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) replying to MaKoMo »

All that seemed to do was disable the internal Hottop probes from displaying on the LCDs. The RoR curve stayed completely flat, and events were marked at the very bottom of the graph with 0's next to them. It also put the projected curve on the fan setting :lol:

MaKoMo

#6: Post by MaKoMo »

You seem to have hi the Hottop heater/fan configured as your first extra device. To access the second extra device data (assuming your external probes connected to this) use Y5 insted of Y3 and Y6 insteaf of Y4.

Marko from underneath an olive tree far away from any roasting machine

#7: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) replying to MaKoMo »

Oops, that did the trick. Thanks a lot Marko!