Upgrading Hottop P to B - Control Panel only?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bobbytuck

#1: Post by bobbytuck »

Howdy --

I just acquired a nearly new Hottop P-2K. It's nice, but I'm frustrated by the lack of control. I see from reading posts here that this is why most folks use the B model instead of the P.

I see, too, that I'm able to get the Hottop B control panel for about $120. I downloaded the installation manual, but I'm a little unclear about what I need to do besides the control panel swap. It looks like I don't need a new board -- just the control panel.

I've never disassembled the hottop, so before I spend the money for the control panel -- is it just -- literally -- switching out the control panels? Or is there quite a bit more work to do?

(I'm not electronically-minded -- so I want to be absolutely sure this is something I'm able to do.)

Thanks for any advice or tips ...

Bobby

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

You are just swapping the front control panel so it's pretty easy. Make sure the machine isn't plugged in & take your time carefully prying out the old P panel.
LMWDP 267

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

Yes, it is just a matter of the switch. Be sure to get the "K" panel though. The older KN-8828B-2 is different from the KN-8828B-2K.

Also, use care when removing the panel as well as the "K" thermocouple connector from the back of the panel. There are three connections on the panel. A two-conductor, three position plug which is the chaff tray switch lead (nearest the front of the machine on the panel), the ribbon cable connection which is the largest, and the one nearest the rear of the machine is the K thermocouple connection. The conductors of the thermocouple are solid (not stranded) and are easy to break if the wires are allowed to flex to many times. A quality pair of small needle nose pliers with good gripping jaws or equivalent tool should be used to grasp the male portion of the plug and slowly wiggle it loose from the back of the panel.

Don't ask me how I know!

Other then that, it is a straight swap and all other components are exactly the same between the models.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

bobbytuck (original poster)

#4: Post by bobbytuck (original poster) »

Awesome -- thanks for the replies.

However, I see only 1 'B' panel on the hottop usa site. Is this the one I want:

http://hottopusa.com/Merchant2/merchant ... ry_Code=Pe

EDIT: Scratch that. I didn't see the 'Next' page link in the lower right. I found it:

http://hottopusa.com/Merchant2/merchant ... ry_Code=Pe

Ordering now. Thank you!

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

bobbytuck wrote:Awesome -- thanks for the replies.
Thanks for bringing that out-of-order list to my attention. All the control panels are now together in one area of that page.

iginfect

#6: Post by iginfect »

I have a HT P. Instead of up? or down? grading to B, I did the t4c-htc up grade. If you're gonna spend the $, might as well go all the way.

Marvin

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

It does make sense to do the computer upgrade instead of the P to B upgrade, but presently the HTC+TC4C is not available. You might contact Greenbean through http://www.homeroasters.org as he has (had?) a few boards of his own design that work great.