Tomato Taste in African Coffees

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
thepilgrimsdream

#1: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

A few weeks ago I had a Rwanda from George Howell that tastes like Tomato's, I kinda thought it was crazy, I brewed it in a chemex around 204f and tried around 197f too with his brew method.

I just roasted a Kenya two days ago that has the same distinct tomato taste. It is not grassy like an underdeveloped coffee. Just has a tomato taste as opposed to say blueberries in a Ethiopian.

I dropped it at 415f at probably a city+ in 14min, FC around 11min. Roasted in an Ambex YM-15

Have you guys experienced this?

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

First heard "stewed tomatoes" on a cupping table about 8=9 years ago. I have used it 3-4 times in those 9 years. Falling one coffee after another with the same odd flavor, probably a transient palate issue you are presently facing. I have had that on occasion as well: seasonal allergies, onset of a cold, diet, etc.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

bean2friends

#3: Post by bean2friends »

The June, 2014 Roast & Learn was an Ethiopian from Sweet Marias, dereje-station from Sidama I got definite stewed tomatoes from it. I don't recall anyone else getting that, but it was clear to me.

Stereo Heathen

#4: Post by Stereo Heathen »

The roaster/shop where I work currently has a Kenyan coffee that, in some batches, has somewhat of a stewed tomato (or as one of my coworkers called it "Spaghetti-O's") element. This presents for us primarily in the aroma, though I've experienced it as a flavor in at least one notably underroasted Kenyan coffee, as well.

thepilgrimsdream (original poster)

#5: Post by thepilgrimsdream (original poster) »

Several of us tasted both the Kenya and George's Rwanda, someone referred to the Rwanda as spaghetti O's.

Maybe I'll try to roast it a hair darker and see what happens

dustin360

#6: Post by dustin360 »

Tomato is in a lot of Kenyan coffee as well as Colombians. I find it super disgusting, but there are roasters who both look for and are proud of the Tomato taste in there coffee. I didnt believe it the first time someone told me there roaster was excited about the Tomato in there Kenya, but low and behold he was. It was even on the bag with the tasting notes.

zammie

#7: Post by zammie »

I experienced it with the current Kenya Muwa Estate. Though my description was 'sundried tomato' :D

It was most apparent in the cupping roast but also present in a City+ roast. Anyway I thought it was a positive trait.
dizzy

LMWDP #455

Bob_M

#8: Post by Bob_M »

I was recently at a coffee farm in Nicarauga and at the same time there was a buyer visiting from London. I prepared some Kenyan coffee with Hausgrind and clever dripper. I gave ger some and she said "ah tomatoe juice...Kenyan" . She said it as if it were given. She liked it so much she asked for more.
Jim Shulman once told me that many Kenyan likers like the savory flavors in Kenyan coffee.

briankim

#9: Post by briankim »

I wouldn't consider tomato as defect.
I've tasted tomato in Kenyan coffee last year for the first time and found it quite interesting. I enjoyed the cup.
I've seen many 90+ rated coffees on Coffee Review with tomato notes, too.
But at the same time, I've met a few Q grader and roasters who strictly consider vegetal notes as roast defect. (But is tomato vegetable though? That's separate discussion...)
I guess it just depends on what kind of flavor you are looking for in your coffee.

caddderly

#10: Post by caddderly »

I had an incredible experience with a Kenyan that had such a clear and distinct tomato taste it was unreal. The nose and taste both were huge tomato. It was really remarkable, but not something I wanted to have more of, necessarily.