Three bads make one good.

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BenKeith

#1: Post by BenKeith »

Experimenting with a different setup and getting my Arduino TC4 set a couple days ago, I botched the first three roast, each in different areas of the roast. I was using an Indonesian bean I had made one roast out of before and was not real fond of it, so they became the test beans. When done, I knew I was not going to want to even try each of these beans because I was not fond of that first roast I had made with them, then the major issue each had when roasting this time I just dumped each of them in the same bowl to discard. Then being the tightwad I am, I had a hard time just throwing them in the trash so I put them in a vacuum bag. This morning, I pulled the vacuum back on the bag and thought, dang, those smell pretty good so I make a cup of coffee with them, and to my surprise, it was a rather good cup of coffee. I guess with enough junk, you can make something good out of it.

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

I've found that a roast may be fine after waiting a few more days even if I initially think it's ready for the bin...nowadays I give it a five day rest before passjng judgement.
LMWDP #483

Almico

#3: Post by Almico »

The great reality is: fresh coffee, poorly roasted is far superior to perfectly roasted stale coffee.

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

True, however, I was used to perfectly roasted freah coffee so I am fully aware that my roasting skills are still at the novice level and even at that level I'm surprised what the results are...
LMWDP #483